pros and cons of an elderly person taking in a lodger under Rent a Room Scheme

If you read further

"This means that you are in the property by the landlord’s consent or invitation"
Which does not negate the fact that the licensee is entitled to reasonable notice, as explicitly stated.

That is the process by which the consent or invitation is withdrawn (my inference).

Or do you think that the licensee is NOT entitled to reasonable notice?

I'm puzzled why you don't understand that a guest can only be in your house at your invitation and with your consent.

I'm puzzled why you don't understand that a guest can only be in your house at your invitation and with your consent.
Licensee, not guest. I'll leave it at this I think. No likelihood of progressing this strand.

Last edited:
At age 70 one should have ideally not have to face the inconvenience of a probable much younger lodger and their issues, habits and lifestyle. I’m thinking parties, overnight guests, substance use, dirty laundry, clutter, noise, mental health issues, mood swings, sharing cartons of milk etc etc. Not to mention increased utility bills from room heaters, hot water etc. A friend of mine in his 60s has all these issues from his low rent paying lodgers. You would need eyes in the back of your head. No thank you very much.
Not just that, but the risk of exploitation in a house share for someone of his age is very high. Also older people often live in a simpler way with less mod cons, than a young person who is used to what older people might consider luxuries, will demand as standard. I wouldn't take that risk.

Licensee, not guest. I'll leave it at this I think. No likelihood of progressing this strand.
Indeed. By law licensee have very poor rights, but in peddling this idea that you can fling them on the street ad lib, you make it nearly certain that legislation will come to give them the same rights as RTB regulated tenancies.

older people often live in a simpler way with less mod cons, than a young person who is used to what older people might consider luxuries
"risk of exploitation in a house share for someone of his age is very high"

takes real effort to be that patronising.

Do you imagine everyone over the age of 60 is cooking on a crane over an open fire?

Or you lose your capacity once you get your travel card?

If the prospective sharer doesn't like the facilities, they don't have to take it.

"risk of exploitation in a house share for someone of his age is very high"

takes real effort to be that patronising.

Do you imagine everyone over the age of 60 is cooking on a crane over an open fire?

Or you lose your capacity once you get your travel card?

If the prospective sharer doesn't like the facilities, they don't have to take it.
I know my own elderly father, and he has been scammed several times already.

Licensees are not covered under RTB at present
On the contrary, licensees of student specific accomodation are covered by RTB.

Sharing a home with the property owner however is outside the scope of the RTB; said sharer has the legal status of a guest.

Whilst I agree that nothing in life is certain, it is Infinitesimally likely that this will change.

Can you itemise what tenancies are not covered under RTB?
  • Tenancies in local authority housing or under shared ownership lease arrangements.
  • Holiday letting agreements.
  • The Rent a Room scheme (where the landlord and the tenant share the same self-contained property).
  • Instances where a tenant lives with the spouse, civil partner, parent or child of the landlord and there is no written letting agreement in place.
  • Properties which are short term lets.

• Tenancies in local authority housing or under shared ownership lease arrangements.
  • Holiday letting agreements.
  • The Rent a Room scheme (where the landlord and the tenant share the same self-contained property).
  • Instances where a tenant lives with the spouse, civil partner, parent or child of the landlord and there is no written letting agreement in place.
  • Properties which are short term lets.
Untrue AFAIK.

Don't licence arrangements fall outside the definition of a tenancy regardless of whether the Rent a Room scheme is being availed of?

Untrue AFAIK.

Don't licence arrangements fall outside the definition of a tenancy regardless of whether the Rent a Room scheme is being availed of?
The above is the list of circumstances which are outside the remit of the RTB. You are correct in saying the rent a room scheme is a license agreement and therefore not classified as a tenancy.

you guys are deluded if you think its easy just to turf people out, maybe the actual action turns out to be simple but the stress will be 10x worrying about money while ultimately owning a house.

messy, noisy, snores loudly, smelly, rude, taking advantage, takes for granted, leaves pubes in the bathroom, steals, illness (physical or mental) impacting on you directly or indirectly .....only need one of these characteristics to become a huge stress on an older person, what's the point in going all your life to arrive in a 1m quid house and be dealing with some random lodgers. Horses for courses, but madness in my opinion.

If lonely, there are probably lower risk ways to mitigate.

Experience; rented property myself and even dealing with ass agent was a pain, family have had various tenants in rental properties, and others have had direct lodgers - and even as a person in their mid 30s renting to someone else in their mid30s there is limited "dream" tenant stories to share, but plenty of misery, the most recent including a seemingly decent bloke with decent job but serious snoring issue and messy/dirty traits only became apparent after a month

Last edited:
Back