Proprietary director & state pension

JMR

I am a proprietary director of a ltd. company (contractor)
My wife is the second director in the company, while also working full time in the PAYE sector.
What are our rights regarding the old age pension if I remain a director until retirement and also if I revert to a PAYE job before retirement?

If you have been paying Class S (for Self-employed and certain Company directors) PRSI or a combination of Class A (at an earlier stage of your working life) and class S later you should be entitled to an Old Age Pension As your wife works in the PAYE system she should be entitled to Pension in her own right provided she has sufficient PRSI payments.(520 will get you a half rate pension and obviously the more you the better it gets) Both of you should obtain Records of PRSI payments by writing to PRSI Records Section, Gandon House, Amiens St. Dublin1. Quote your name & and maiden name and PRSI No. These records can then be sent to Pensions Office in Sligo and request a pension forecast (if you are aged between 60 and 64) If older send records with pension completed Application Form. Keep copies of everything!!.

Back