Proprietary director for tax purposes

wildgoose

For Irish tax purposes, particularly pension contributions, does a proprietary director need to own 5% or 15% or 20% of a company's shares.

I have found a reference on revenue.ie that indicates 15% in general:

[broken link removed]

But I have found multiple references to 5% in the context of pensions (my primary interest).

[broken link removed]

http://www.finfacts.ie/fincentre/ppp1.htm

This revenue.ie document has a sidebar on page 7 that indicates 20% is the cut off for being a proprietary director:

[broken link removed]

Apart from pension contributoins, are there any other benefits of being a proprietary director?

I've just being doing some research in relation to the PAYE Tax credit and can accross this on the revenue web site:-
A Proprietary Director is the companies beneficial owner or director who controls directly/indirectly more than 15% of the company's ordinary share capital.

A point to remember, as a Proprietary Director you are not entitled to the PAYE Tax Credit.

The reference to 5% is in relation to self - Administered pension schemes, a whole different ball game.

Hope this helps !!!

The reference to 5% is in relation to self - Administered pension schemes, a whole different ball game.

Hope this helps !!!

Page 7 of this document "New Pension Options
For the Self-Employed and Directors of Family Companies"

[broken link removed]

Contains this definition

Proprietary Director
For pension fund options, a Proprietary Director is one who
controls more than 20% of the voting rights in a company
or in a company's parent company. Shares which are held
by the director's spouse or minor children are taken into
account. Shares held by trustees of a settlement to which
the director or the director’s spouse had transferred shares