Property tips for 2008 purely investment (ie not self holiday) (except CV/Bulgaria)

thomsk

Anyone got some ideas for where is a good place to invest-purely as an investment(ie not a place for self-holidays)?
A couple of factors which make you suggest the particular countrie(s) would be appreciated.
Ideally, places that are widely expected to average 12% or more on yearly basis over, say, next 5 years.

Re: Property tips for 2008(except CV and Bulgaria)

Ideally, places that are widely expected to average 12% or more on yearly basis over, say, next 5 years.

Ah ya - places that are no less than widely expected to make a minimum of 12% per year for the next 5 years so ya?

If we knew that we'd all be packing in the day job !!

FOr my tuppence worth for the craic of it i will say POland as my tip.

Apparently prague is in a 2nd cycle of its boom at the moment too.

Re: Property tips for 2008(except CV and Bulgaria)

Thanks for your tuppence worth. Was thinking along those lines, funnily enough!

Re: Property tips for 2008 purely investment (ie not self holiday) (except CV/Bulgari

I'd have to say Nice, France:

-Tramway being opened by President Sarkozy on Saturday.
-Business-friendly mayor/government/president.
-Top holiday destination: sun, ski and French culture.
-Strategically placed close to Italy, Monaco and Marseilles.
-Great place to live

....but of course I'm biased.

Poland is definitely worth a look as an investment.

New York would be also ideal as an investment and holiday home, with the low dollar and all. I'd be looking now, and buying in the next 2/3 years. Prices don't seem that bad.

Belgium: Gent & Leuven
Prices in both cities are very reasonable, and the capital appreciation in Belgium is real good.
There are plenty of nice projects to chose from:
[broken link removed]

My two recommendations would be

Short-term letting in Cannes, France
15% Capital Growth average in the region for appartments
Second Biggest Exhibition Centre in France after Paris
Only 70,000 population

My other would be Quebec, Canada.
Why Canada?
-spends more dollars on education than any other country and is number one in higher education achievement, and one of the worlds top performers in maths, science, literacy
-has progressive immigration policies – inviting skilled people to migrate there, particularly effective in the development of sophisticated knowledge workers
-has growing exports with US, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world with Canadian leadership in fibre optics and biotechnology
-banks rank first among G7 in terms of credit worthiness, and over past 5 years Canada inflation rate averaged 2.3% lower than inflation rate recorded in US over same period
-is US largest trading parner, most large Canadian cities are within 1h30 of the US and Montreal is minutes away
-Smart borders with Fast lanes for commercial traffic and border wait times average less than 10 minutes
-offers first-class knowledge workers, access to low-cost R&D and easy access to large markets
-has the lowest cost of living & labour costs of the G7
-ranks third in the EIU global business rankings for 2007-2011 (down from 1st place in 2002-2006)
-continues to offer the best environment to establish a business and allocates the most funding on business investment
-has two simple steps for start-ups – one day to incorporate a company and two days to register for goods/services tax
-has the highest percentage (41%) of individuals achieving college education amongst OECD member countries.
-boasts the highest-speed research network in the world
-ranks first among G7 for equal opportunities, quality of life, safest place to live
-has one of the worlds most multilingual societies
-ranks 2nd in G7 in terms of effectively reducing environmental stresses
-ranked 1st in the latest UN Human Development Report for Best Human Development
-has one of the overall lowest tax rates among developed countries and has introduced many incentives for new businesses.
-ranks as one of the best places in the world for Foreign Direct Investment

There is an article on this subject in the current issue of YouandYourMoney by Diarmuid Condon. From memory, the countries recommended were Germany(commercial), Sweden & Finland(residential and commercial), USA (commercial) and Panama(?) (residential) .

have heard romania is the best place for mid to long term growth (15%) anyone know about this market?

Cquinn - Have you investigated Brasov, Romania's second city? It always seems to get undermined by Bucharest, and yet sounds as though it could be a place to do ok.

Not sure bout you guys but I bought some property in Dubai 3 years ago and to be honest the returns I have made are phenomenal! One apt I bought for €107,000 back then I sold just three weeks ago for a WHOPING € 370,000!!! Now if anyone can beat that let me know!!!

Not sure bout you guys but I bought some property in Dubai 3 years ago and to be honest the returns I have made are phenomenal! One apt I bought for €107,000 back then I sold just three weeks ago for a WHOPING € 370,000!!! Now if anyone can beat that let me know!!!

Fair play to you.That's a great return.

Particularly given that dubai has got a bit of bad press in the last couple of years.

I don't know dubai - but did you buy in an exclusive area or what?

No not too exclusive, although most of Dubai is considered exclusive! Bought in the Jumeirah lakes district. Am going to reinvest as soon as i can to, there seems to be loads going on out there and its ALL generating great returns! If you look at my case I made 79% annual capital appreciation and have been told that rental yields will be in the region of 12-16%.... WOW!!! I know that the cap app figures won't stay that way but they aint gonna stop going up up up! any one interested should have a look at the site [broken link removed] I'm dealing with a guy there called Robert in their Dublin office, and reckon that i'll be buyin with them next!!

Kevin, assuming you have no interests to declare, did you ever hear of the phrases;

quit while your ahead;
trees don't grow to the sky;
don't build houses on sand?

Just wondering ;)

No not too exclusive, although most of Dubai is considered exclusive! Bought in the Jumeirah lakes district. Am going to reinvest as soon as i can to, there seems to be loads going on out there and its ALL generating great returns! If you look at my case I made 79% annual capital appreciation and have been told that rental yields will be in the region of 12-16%.... WOW!!! I know that the cap app figures won't stay that way but they aint gonna stop going up up up! any one interested should have a look at the site [broken link removed] I'm dealing with a guy there called Robert in their Dublin office, and reckon that i'll be buyin with them next!!

Hmm - for the record there can be a bit of suspicion on this site of people whoic have just joined and claim huge profits and then recommend a very specific agent.
Do you see where we may be coming from in that regard?

I feel sorry for the person paying 379k in Dubai at this present time. Things are slow there at the moment and predicted to get slower in 2008

I'm going to say Romania (but then I would, wouldn't I?!). My experiences here have been very, very positive but it has taken a bit of hard graft and careful research plus a large dollop of luck thrown in.

My two recommendations would be

Short-term letting in Cannes, France

My other would be Quebec, Canada.
Why Canada?

I like Canada too especially above the Cape side, but to me the Loonie is a very highly priced currency. Mainly as a result of their pheonmenal commodity boom. Any affect on the currency downward could devalue any increase in the property value. I don't IMO see both moving simutaneously upward.

Earlier post on Dubai with a handy follow up re: a Dublin agents details - very suspicious, it should be removed. Big pinch of salt required on that one!!

Re: Property tips for 2008 purely investment (ie not self holiday) (except CV/Bulgari

I would say Panama, Brazil and the Czech Republic, especially Brno.

Can see where you are coming from on that reference i gave to the guy i'm dealing with in Dublin. Just thought i'd share a good experience with you. It's up to you if you chose to take it on board or ignore it! Everyone is entitled to their say!!!

especially Brno.

hey , why would you choose brno ? i have a friend working for honeywell corporation over there im in regular contact with. hence my interest . he says its a pretty small town.

Back