Promotion but pay reduction

Wonderpig

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. After a recent reorganisation, I have been offered a promotion to move to my company's other office which has just won some new business. The promotion is expected as my performance appraisals have been in the top category. I'm a perfect fit for the role in terms of my experience and skills, much more so that others in the company. The new office is also much closer to where I live so I would avoid a lot of commute time on the M50.

The catch is that they are asking me to take a substantial pay reduction as they want to implement a different pay structure in the other office. They want me to choose between the better opportunites in the other office and the better pay in the current one. Although I can't say for sure, I think others in the company who already fit into pay structure may also be offered promotion without an impact on their salaries.

If I turn it down I will remain on my current pay and role so in that way I'm very lucky and do have a choice in the matter. I'd get by with the pay cut but it is substantial pay cut and I'd probably be very bitter about it and have no idea if I'd ever get back to my previous level. The company is normally excellent on HR matters so this has come as quite a shock.

To be honest I don't see how I can accept this but I'd be grateful for opinions on this, whether anyone else was ever ina similar position and on the legalities involved.

If I were to give my honest opinion, I think they are taking full advantage of the recession by putting you in this position.

They call it a "promotion" yet are not actually rewarding you with anything. They are changing your job role to something more advanced, changing your location and to top it all off they want to pay you less for it. It's a bit of a slap in the face.

Do you think this new position could potentially lead to a higher salary in the near future? Do you think you will be happier there? Are they offering a trial period?

In my company there are people who transferred in on various T&Cs covered by TUPE. If they decide to seek a role elsewhere in the organisation, then they are expected to sign up to standard corporate T&Cs. However, if their salary is over the minimum for the new role, then their existing salary would be frozen until the minimum in their new role catches up with it.

Back