Problems with Remote Desktop on XP Professional

mik_da_man

Hi,

I have a laptop which has a dual boot of XP and Vista.
On the XP install (XP Professional) I cannot get remote desktop to work at all. The XP install went fine and then I tried to add remote desktop via the intsall CD, it goes through the install ok but at the end says that there is a version currently on the PC and to use it.
When I go through the menu the option for remote desktop is not there.
Also I located the .exe in the windows folder but double clicking that does not work either.
Is there any way to remove and re-install Remote desktop?
I do not want to re-install windows if at all possible

Mik

Are you trying to connect to another machine, or make this one available for another machine to connect to it?

If the former have you tried Start Menu >> Accessories >> Communications >> Remote Desktop Connection. (this can differ to just launching the exe directly).

If the latter try right clicking on 'My Computer', select 'Properties' then the 'Remote' tab and configure from there.

Thanks Clubman - I will have a further look on google, have not come across anything helpful so far..

rmelly - I am trying to make the machine avaiable for others to connect to. The problem is that the menu pathStart Menu >> Accessories >> Communications >> Remote Desktop Connection does not exist.
Also the remote tab in system properties does not show up either....

It's quite strange and I have never come across it before....

Nope - it's not in any menus anywhere, or in the usual place in Control Panel - System.
The files seem to be on the harddrive as I can locate the .exe but it just won't launch.

I'll do a bit more googling but it's looking like I may have to reinstall the OS :(

you could use an alternative - try searcing the web for VNC

are you certain that you have XP professional on the machine, and not XP home?

Yep Certain - I did the install myself from the CD. and it gives the option to install remote desktop.
And it's a fully legit copy I purchased a month ago.

Back