Problems finding home insurance with claims

A

AnnaC

Hi All

Can anyone suggest what to do here. We had a break in 2 or 3 yrs ago and another in september. Because of this our insurance company has declined a renewal. I feel like a victim all over agin, first the break in now I feel blacklisted. The insuance companies won't touch me now because of the refusal. What do I do? Do I fight my corner if so how or do I try to find an insurance company that takes customers that have had a claim in the past?

Anna

you have a serious problem. it will be unusual for a company to take you on if another insurer refuses to renew. Your previous insurer must know this too. I would write to chief executive asking for a reason for the refusal and also asking him to reconsider as the matter is causing immense hardship. At the end of the letter, I would appeal to him to at least hold you on cover on existing terms or some terms, to give you time to get cover. They might renew with extra terms, such as excluding burglary or imposing a larger excess.

If you have a morgage, remember that the house must be insured for fire at a minimum.

is is not the same as with car insurance? If you have a car accident and then it comes around to renewal time the insurance company you are with have to provide you with a quote and cover if u want it.. does the same not have to apply with regard to claims on house insurance?

Did the Insurer ask you to take any preventative measures or make any security changes after the first or second incident?

ASAIK grizzcol, this refusal is not the same as that of car insurance.

Have shopped around and no one will take me on. The ins co. said it's due to the large claims. Will try the other approach of asking to apply different terms. In the mean time if anyone else knows where to get ins please let me know.

Anna

Have shopped around and no one will take me on. The ins co. said it's due to the large claims. Will try the other approach of asking to apply different terms. In the mean time if anyone else knows where to get ins please let me know.

Anna

Hi Anna,

If you would like to email me your details, I can try and obtain a quotation for you. I've PM'ed you my contact details.

Clare

hi,
your current insurers cannot refuse to quote - they can increase the rates but cannot refuse to quote.

hi,
your current insurers cannot refuse to quote - they can increase the rates but cannot refuse to quote.

Yes they can refuse to quote for/renew house insurance - unlike motor insurance where your existing company must quote you.

Back