Prison Sentences

On the face of it, 8 months is pretty harsh and immediate reaction is just another example of political correctness gone wrong. But, to be honest, the following and freaking her out is the scarier thing of the whole thing, I would imagine she was quite frantic when she realised she was being followed.

8 months though....

He's not actually going to jail though, if you read the article.

Sure the Italian prison system would explode if that was to be imposed there!!! - or is it more ass pinching that is their reputed national pastime.

Just watched that poor woman on the news.
What a sickening result.
And what a sickening message to send to those who have been abused.and worse a sickening message to send to abusers!!!
There had to have been another way..

How is this man appealing if he submitted a guilty plea, this is an extract from RTE article on Tuesday;

"Ms Doyle's father, Patrick O'Brien, was released on bail pending an appeal, after having nine years of his 12-year sentence suspended.
He had pleaded guilty to repeatedly raping his daughter over a period of ten years."

Maybe I am missing something, but an appeal and guilty plea doesn't seem to go hand in hand.

I never stated otherwise, it's obvious that the appeals judges still view his (garlic man) offence as one warranting a custodial sentence of at least 16 months.

Still makes the judge allowing the rapist to stay out of prison even harder to understand.

Fair play to the judge. He admitted today that he had been insensitive and wrong.

Before today's reversal, I did hear a barrister trying to explain it as follows:
He was entitled to appeal the severity of the sentence.
There is a three year waiting list in the Court of Criminal Appeal even for the urgent cases!
By the time his appeal is heard, a successful appeal will be no good to him.

He should be entitled to apply for bail after around 2 years if the appeal has not been heard by then.

I would'nt hold too much hope for a sentence review here Delgirl.
This thug will be out in 2.5 years. And there but for the grace of God goes any 1 of us...I drink on that street most weekends.

Par for the course in this broken little country...and yet we have a huge and expensive site in Nth Dublin sitting empty, while a huge shortage in prison places exists

I would'nt hold too much hope for a sentence review here Delgirl.
This thug will be out in 2.5 years. And there but for the grace of God goes any 1 of us...I drink on that street most weekends.

Par for the course in this broken little country...and yet we have a huge and expensive site in Nth Dublin sitting empty, while a huge shortage in prison places exists

There are also an awful lot of otherwise decent people who but for the Grace of God could have thrown the punch. I know plenty of decent people who are lousy drinkers and always seem to find trouble. Having said that, I don't know anything about this guy. Was he in trouble before?

There are also an awful lot of otherwise decent people who but for the Grace of God could have thrown the punch. I know plenty of decent people who are lousy drinkers and always seem to find trouble. Having said that, I don't know anything about this guy. Was he in trouble before?
Apparently no previous convictions and that was part of the reason he got off so lightly. And we all know that just because he has no convictions, doesn't mean that he hasn't committed any crimes.

The amount of weight given to mitigating factors in this case is grossly disporportionate to the crime IMO - this young thug took someone's life and the sentence doesn't reflect that.

Apparently no previous convictions and that was part of the reason he got off so lightly. And we all know that just because he has no convictions, doesn't mean that he hasn't committed any crimes.

The amount of weight given to mitigating factors in this case is grossly disporportionate to the crime IMO - this young thug took someone's life and the sentence doesn't reflect that.

Not defending anything but it sounds about what a drunk driver would get if they killed someone?? I heard the victims family on the radio and I have a lot of respect for them and the statement they made. This case has as much to do with abusing alcohol as sentencing.

I hang out with a lot of lads from different groups for a lot of years and can safely say that none of them have ever thrown a punch randomly like that on a street. So I would take issue with your statement above. And we all usually have a good few beers when out a lot of the time, but just go home after. Don't start laying into other lads on the street and dance around the victim after.
And just 'cos a drink driver gets a short sentence does'nt mean it's right. I think you'd have a different tune if this happened to someone you knew.

Harsher sentencing needed for serious crimes,simple as

Any crime involving physical harm to another person is, IMO, a more serious offence than other types of crime like theft for example

So for example, punching someone in the nose because they had insulted me is more serious than if I broke into their house and stole their life savings, children's toys, etc?

Not defending anything but it sounds about what a drunk driver would get if they killed someone?? I heard the victims family on the radio and I have a lot of respect for them and the statement they made. This case has as much to do with abusing alcohol as sentencing.
I too have tremendous respect for his family and their dignified response to the sentence.

His brother Seán said after sentencing: “This was an unprovoked attack by an absolute guttersnipe on a harmless middle-aged man.”

Our judicial system seems to view crimes of theft and tax evasion (such as that carried out by the Garlic importer) as more serious and deserving of harsher punishment than those committed against people, including murder.

On the intoxication defence issue, if the alcohol was taken voluntarily then the drinker should assume that the consumption is likely to increase the risk of them committing dangerous/stupid acts and the are therefore responsible for their behaviour.

The least that could come out of this awful incident is a [broken link removed] here similar to that in the north and UK.

Back