Present for somebody who is going travelling?

Calico

Does anyone have any idea of a practical gift for someone who is going travelling/backpacking? The only thing I can think of is a compass but it's not really that kind of adventure!

Does anyone have any idea of a practical gift for someone who is going travelling/backpacking? The only thing I can think of is a compass but it's not really that kind of adventure!

You could get a nice leather travel wallet. Usually they have sections for your passport, tickets, boarding cards, different currencies etc.
Someone bought me one and I liked it!

Do you know their travel itinerary? Are they roughing it??
If so booking a nice hotel at one of their destinations could be a nice gesture

A decent penknife with gadgets is good for backpacking.
Sleeping bag/sheet (depending where they're going) or camping equipment.
Hiking boots/waterproof jacket if you know their size and if they need them.
A smaller backpack for day trips.
A decent camera would be a great present if they don't already have one depending on how much you want to spend.

I did a trip to oz for 5 weeks and had it packed with things to do. A friend bought me a travel diary which was great. I can look back at it now and see what I got up to every day. I'm sure easons or the likes would have them.

a good map of the country they are visiting, a guide book (lonely planet/rough guide), a memory stick for their camera, a good compact flashlight.

The Great Outdoors shop has any number of nice expensive little gifts/gadgets.

A leather passport cover, stops your passport getting wrinkled and ruined and damp. Travel Scrabble. A head torch so they can read in bed if the lights are switched out & they are sharing a room.

Some local currency for one, or more, of the countries that they are due to visit.

A decent penknife with gadgets is good for backpacking.

I'll second this recommendation. A Swiss Army knife is invaluable to a backpacker. It has so many uses.

Just make sure they check it in with their backpack when boarding a plane (i.e. it will be confiscated if they leave it in with their hand luggage)

Definitely a nice compact digital camera, if they don't already have one.

There's a very aptly named one available for in Aldi this Thursday, and it comes complete with all the necessary bits and bobs — charger + four batteries, pouch, strap, USB/TV cable and a 512MB SD memory card. Excellent value, with a three-year guarantee for good measure. My own local Aldi store usually has SD cards in stock as a regular item; I'd recommend an extra 2GB card @€39.99, if you're feeling flash... (geddit?) ;)

when I went travelling for a year a friend of mine gave me a photo album which you can record a message on each photo so she got all my friends and family to record a message on each photo, it was really nice idea.
I was looking for the link, she got it in browne thomas but you used to be able to get it on sharperimage.com but they don't seem to sell it anymore. Maybe someone on AAM might know where to get one.

I did a trip to oz for 5 weeks and had it packed with things to do. A friend bought me a travel diary which was great. I can look back at it now and see what I got up to every day. I'm sure easons or the likes would have them.
I have a niece who will be going to the third world for a year or so on voluntary service. That diary is a nice idea. Did anyone source a really special one?

a travel guide of the coutries they will be going to.a small first aid kit.pay for their anti malarial injections.a new rucksack.a pair of sandals.mp3 player.a hammock.

i found these items an essiential...what ever you get make sure its small and lightweight and is legal in intended coutry.

One of those expensive microfibre towels which fold up to the size of a matchbox and dry super quick.

I don't know if your friend is male/female, but if female how about some nice face cream like Creme de la Mer (expensive) to avoid that weathered look she might get while backpacking.

which country or countries is this person going to backpack to ?

Re: Present for somebody who is going traveling?

My Dad gave me one of those belts with a hidden zip with 100 us dollars in 5s and 1s dollar bills in it.was a great back up to have . dollars open doors if your in trouble especially in south America.

Back