Preferred method for sending invoices

h20

To self-employed people:

Which format do you prefer to send your invoice to clients:

1/ a word doc protected by password

2/ a pdf not protected by password

3/ a pdf doc protected by password

Also, do you sign your invoices by hand and then scan them?

by ordinary post!

Why would you want to send something by post when it doesn't cost a penny/cent to send it by email? Plus, e-mail is so much quicker, not to mention environmentally friendlier (no need for envelopes).

I usually send by email, with a hard copy in the post, depending on the company.

For the electronic version, just an ordinary pdf. Why bother with password protection? (The harder you make it, the easier it is not to be paid).

No need to sign an invoice. Just make sure it has your name, address, contact details, company registration number (if applicable) and VAT registration no (if applicable).

You should ask your clients how they prefer to be invoiced, and use whatever method THEY choose. While you're at it, let them know how you like to be paid (cheque, bank transfer etc.)

I usually send by email, with a hard copy in the post, depending on the company.

For the electronic version, just an ordinary pdf. Why bother with password protection? (The harder you make it, the easier it is not to be paid).

No need to sign an invoice. Just make sure it has your name, address, contact details, company registration number (if applicable) and VAT registration no (if applicable).

You may also want to include the other company's VAT number if it is a VAT exempt transaction (for example to a company in another EU country).

Why bother? Because a client could easily edit the document and change the amount due! Never trust anyone in business. I always protect my invoices from modification with a password that is tough to crack.

extopia;422941 You should ask your clients how they prefer to be invoiced said:
Well, my clients don't actually have a preference at all. Obviously, they want the invoice by e-mail, but whether it's Word/pdf with/without password, they don't seem to care.

I asked all my clients if it was ok to send a pdf and they said yes so that's what I do. If anyone specifically requests a hard copy I'll do that too.

I also have the pdf files password protected. It's not any inconvenience to the client as they won't even know unless they try to alter it.

afaik, you don't NEED to do this.

Sorry, I should have said zero-rated intra-EU transaction. According to the VAT handbook:
()

Supplies of goods to other Member States
11.2 The supply of goods by a VAT-registered trader in one EU Member State to a VAT-registered
trader in another EU Member State normally qualifies as an intra-Community supply. A VATregistered
trader in the State may zero rate the supply of goods to a customer in another EU
Member State if -
_ the customer is registered for VAT in that other EU Member State,
_ the customer’s VAT registration number (including country prefix) is obtained and
retained in the supplier’s records,
_ this number, together with the supplier ’s VAT registration number, is quoted on the sales
invoice,
_ the goods are dispatched or transported to that other EU Member State.
If these four conditions are not met the supplier is liable for VAT at the appropriate Irish rate.

afaik, you don't NEED to do this.

H20 this is not the first (second or third) time you've made a comment that is wrong. Now, I know you want to keep your costs down, but you REALLY should pay for a couple of hours with an accountant to ensure you are doing things correctly.

It will cost you a lot more in interest, penalties and professional fees if you get audited.

Why bother? Because a client could easily edit the document and change the amount due!

I thought you were talking about password protection to open, rather than modify, the document. But nevertheless, I think this is a little paranoid, to be honest. If the client wants to modify an invoice, it wouldn't be hard for them to recreate an invoice that looks like yours and bin your original.

Never trust anyone in business.

Hmmm. I prefer to think of the client-customer relationship as one of mutual trust. At least until that trust is betrayed. If a client screwed around in the way you mention above, I would simply stop doing business with them.

I'm not thinking about someone deliberately altering an invoice - but it can easily be done by accident if it isn't protected.

Why bother? Because a client could easily edit the document and change the amount due! Never trust anyone in business. I always protect my invoices from modification with a password that is tough to crack.

The original invoice is still going to be in your accounts system, so you'll find out pretty quickly if a customer has done this.

(To answer op's question - email is preferred method. It's so much easier)

Back