• ¡ = Alt (hold) + !
Cut and pasting seems to work for me.

Brendan

A few more

Gc¥¥

OK, they don't work

1688639929786.png

á é í ó ú is alt gr a, alt gr e, etc.

Á É Í Ó Ú is shift alt gr a, shift alt gr e, and so on.

And the euro symbol € is alt gr 4.

Go to the Character Map, i.e. enter charmap in the Windows search box; select Advanced view; ensure character set Unicode is selected.

Last edited:
Ubuntu Linux 22.04
=============

On AAM Forum and typing within a post space, I get

French Keyboard
: ALT GR + [ + u - This should be umlauted u but it turns out to be: ü

German Keyboard: [ + u - This should be umlauted u but turns out to be: ü

I think that Xenforo has issues with these characters. So it's not users' own keyboard settings or default mappings.

Looking at other character input modes like Google Search or LibreOffice Writer there is no problem - characters in the German and French keyboards are what they should be.

One for Xenforo.

Last edited:
Hold on there, Brendan.

Are you really thinking of going Deutsch on this AAM forum ?

Far be it from me to deny a valid ambition.

I thought your remark was just saying that you regard this matter as one of low priority :confused:

Were they any more specific than "non standard"?
That's quite vague.
Just to be clear, characters with diacritics, are not 'non standard' characters. They are part of the orthography of many European languages. Compliance with ISO 8859-1, since 1999, provides for Irish (and other European) orthography. Almost everything else is covered by compliance with ISO 10646 (aka Unicode).

Trajan

Was it you who raised the issue initially?

Could you specify the problem in non-technical language for me.

Is it that you cannot produce some symbols which you need to produce?
Or is it that you can't produce them with your key board but can produce them by some other means.

Brendan

@BB Just to explain the limitation:-

I refer to characters like accented vowels in any language, diphthongs, umlauts, circonflexes, cedilles, tildes, foreign currency symbols, etc.

The Irish keyboard for English language (on Microsoft Windows or on various flavours of Linux) posesses a certain number of these like accented vowels (fadas), some foreign currency symbols (£ and $), business symbols like copywright, trademark and so on.

But other ones like umlauts, French and Spanish accent characters require one to switch to the French/German/Spanish/etc keyboard.

Many commonly used software packages allow users to type characters from all language-keyboard options that are installed on their operating system. So I can produce these "foreign" characters on my keyboard when I type onto many other things like

* Google Search bar

* Office software like LibreOffice Writer, MS Word, etc

* Text boxes within photo or graphic editing software like GIMP, Inkscape, etc

* Response boxes on forums like Stack Exchange, Stack Overflow, etc

* YouTube Search bar

* LinkedIn posts

* Facebook posts

But some other software packages do not enable this facility, e.g. if it is not anticipated that users of a forum will contribute in a language other than English then non-standard characters may not be supported. In the latter situation, users entering the correct character may see either a plain alphabetic or punctuation character in place of the expected one. Or they may see some weird Cyrillic character.

It appears that AskAboutMoney's forum software (Xenforo) does not allow "foreign" character entry.

More disappointingly still, AAM on Xenforo doesn't even allow Irish fada characters.

A fada shows as Á
a fada shows as á
E fada shows as É
e fada shows as é

So I can't have RTE on AAM with the E showing a fada. I can type the fada-ed E on Google Search and copy and paste it onto AAM - but all I get is still É.

It looks like the AAM Xenforo character encodings need to be reconfigured. This might be a simple thing like reconfiguring the version of the Linux op system running on the server holding the askaboutmoney.com forum web application. If a good range of languages and keyboards are installed on the server's op system, all software running on the server should then interpret a big range of character encodings correctly.

So please refer this issue to the web engineer for your askaboutmoney.com website.

Raidió Teilifís Éireann RTÉ

An I missing something with the fadas? They show correctly for me. I'm using an Android phone.

Raidió Teilifís Éireann RTÉ

An I missing something with the fadas? They show correctly for me. I'm using an Android phone.

Thanks for obs.

I looked at AAM on my own Android phone and all's well there.

May I ask others here if these characters are showing as they should on PC/laptop ?
Please mention if it's a Mac, Windows or Linux computer you are using.

All characters display correctly on MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.
All characters display correctly on iOS 16.5.1.

Could this be a user issue? All the characters display correctly for me above. Even the umlauted ü.

Thanks for obs.

I looked at AAM on my own Android phone and all's well there.

May I ask others here if these characters are showing as they should on PC/laptop ?
Please mention if it's a Mac, Windows or Linux computer you are using.
Fine for me on Android, Linux and Windows.
Maybe you could describe what exactly the problem is at your end rather than people having to guess?

Back