Other Posting engagement ring abroad

LovelyHome

The stone fell out of my engagement ring. I rang the jeweler who made the ring and is based in New York. He told me he'd repair it and to post it to him.

I thought it would be easy enough to fedex it, but they won't take rings as far as I know. It would be worth about 5k. I took it to a jewelers here and they advised to get the original guy to fix it that made it. They're afraid to touch it.

Has anyone any advice on posting this? Do I insure it? Who's a reputable postal/courier service? What about customs on the way back? I was a resident of the states when bought ring, they may make me pay vat on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for the advice. Thought about this already.
I can't travel due to health reasons.
I thought about giving it to someone, but to be honest, I just wouldn't like to have them minding the ring and having the responsibility of it. I would be nervous carrying someone's ring and would not enjoy the flight. The jeweler is so nice, and I really trust him, but I don't think he understands that I have the issue with the post. To make matters worse, he had surgery in his throat and can't speak so the telephone conversations are hard enough to say the least.

Thanks for the advice though.

Back