Platinum band engagement ring needs resizing

T

TwitterFan

Hi all

We got engaged last Friday and went ring shopping on Saturday! I found my perfect ring but the only problem is it needs to be resized. Weirs have said they can't do it until after Christmas, as it has diamonds on the shoulders so takes longer. Breretons said the same. And Vincent O'Neill (South Anne St) who has been recommended on here said he couldn't do the platinum band - he doesn't have the tool.

At the moment it's on a chain around my neck as its way too big and with the cold weather won't even stay on my middle finger. Could anyone recommend someone who could do this - would love to wear it over the holidays.

Many thanks

Why don't you get one of those temporary resizing sleeves for it until then? They're plastic and fit around the band at the back of the ring.

Make sure it's insured, don't lose the ring!!!

Thanks Diver. I think I could be minus a fiance if I lost it!! ;)

I asked in Weirs about a "clip", I had heard you can wear when its too big but he said it could scratch it. What you're suggesting sounds different? Would I get it in the jewellers?

It feels like such a waste having it but not able to wear it until mid Jan at this rate :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Osborne Jewellers on Middle Abbey street. They made my platinum wedding ring so might be able to resize your ring on time.

Congratulations!

Thanks Diver. I think I could be minus a fiance if I lost it!! ;)

I asked in Weirs about a "clip", I had heard you can wear when its too big but he said it could scratch it. What you're suggesting sounds different? Would I get it in the jewellers?

It feels like such a waste having it but not able to wear it until mid Jan at this rate :(

You can buy a packet of the clips in Claire's Accessories and they are quite cheap, I think €5/€6. I bought a packet recently and they are made of clear plastic so are not too visible and come in a few depths in the same packet. They are very handy.

I would hold off until after the hols to get the resizing done as you don't want a rush job.

You can always tie some thread around the back of it for the time being and then resize it after Christmas. I don't think that would damage the ring.

Back