planting trees

galway_blow_in

im planning to plant about a dozen willow trees around the house , i know its very important to not plant a tree too deep but i always assumed that the top of the root ball should be slightly under the ground yet have read on several gardening sites that this is not true , i was wondering how much is too much , would three or four inches below the surface create problems ?

also , was told by one person that putting some farm yard manure around the base of the root ball was a good idea where as a lady in a garden centre the other day told me not to use any manure at all

Makes no difference to a willow, so long as there isn't a drought while it is young, a willow will grow anywhere, anyhow.

I've read about issues with planting trees too deeply before. Take a look at this. When planted too deep contact with the soil can rot the bark and over time kill the tree.

Check about Willows, they suck up a lot of water and I think (open to correction here) that they should not be placed near a house or wall foundations as they dry up the soil around them.
Same for lots of large trees but I believe that Weeping Willows are notoriously bad. (You always see them along river banks)

I've read about issues with planting trees too deeply before. Take a look at this. When planted too deep contact with the soil can rot the bark and over time kill the tree.

this is correct , you have to maintain a distance of 15 metres from the septic tank or any sort of concrete structure , these will be well away from the house

according to Monty on GW, adding manure can cause the root to bowl and stay within the boundary of the small hole you lined with manure.. popping it into the soil without manure will mean its roots will have to travel out to find the nutrients which will give a better stronger root and tree.

according to Monty on GW, adding manure can cause the root to bowl and stay within the boundary of the small hole you lined with manure.. popping it into the soil without manure will mean its roots will have to travel out to find the nutrients which will give a better stronger root and tree.

i chose not to use any farmyard manure in the end

Back