Planning Permission - Planning Consultant?

Dr.Phil

Hi about to try for planning permission. Myself and my girlfriend have finally found a site in our area (we had applied before in an area that the council claimed we weren't locals of even though we live only 2.2 miles from the site) This really is our last chance at planning and in our area it seems no one who is buying sites is getting permission. We were wondering would it be worth our while to hire a planning consultant as we haven't a clue if we should apply in both names, as there would be pros and cons with each of us e.g I live just inside a 30 mile zone of my village but apparently the council see this as not rural but I recently set up my own business - this might go in our favour.

We are after using all of our savings with deposit and architect drawing up our plans and have heard that planning consultants are expensive. Could anyone advise?

We are in the Westmeath area in case its of any help

Re: Planing Permission - Planning Consultant?

Hi,

One of the major issues you will need to tackle is whether or not you will be deemed eligible for local needs - I'm presuming this is a requirement in the area. From your previous experience, I am sure you are very familiar with these requirements but it would be well worth having a chat with someone with a good knowledge of local planning to tease out these requirements.

One possibility is to organise a pre-planning meeting but I've heard good and bad reports on these and it's best to have your homework done before going in as I believe this meeting can be treated as part of the formal planning process.

I'd also advise you have a good read of the 'Sustainable Rural Housing Guidelines for Planning Authorities' as it gives a good background and is used as a basis for most planning authorities I believe. I can dig up a copy if you want (send me a PM)..

Re: Planing Permission - Planning Consultant?

Has your architect given you any advice with regard to planning matters and requirements? i'd certainly ask them if you haven't already, they should have a pretty good idea what the requirements are with regard to your exact site. the zoning of your site and the westmeath development plan being the important factors in letting you know what you'll require.

as paulocon said i'd wait until you have talked to someone (i'd try your architect first of all) before arranging a pre-planning meeting.

If no-one is getting permission in your area as you said then i'd presume there might be some difficulties in getting planning so a planning consultant may be the way to go.

Talk to your architect first and if it sounds like it could be difficult to get planning permission i'd seriously consider getting a planning consultant. You should be able to find one who wont charge you an arm and a leg, dont be afraid to get quotes or make a few initial calls to get some information on costs etc.

Back