PIAB: The Personal Injuries Assessment Board

I would be interested in also hearing about PIAB, as my mother was injured in January and will need to make a claim for damages through PIAB. We had an awful time trying to get a repubable Solicitor, but that's another story.

Various solicitors have told us stories, one of which that PIAB was related to Hibernian Insurance!! Would be interested to hear any feedback from any Solicitors who use the board.

My boss in work was involved in an accident in July of last year, where he drove into the back of a womans car (liability was his, he is not disputing that). Caused about €1,500 damage. The woman told him she was on the way home from the hospital for treatment relating to a previous accident (whiplash injury). Within a week, a letter arrived from a Solicitor claiming all sorts of personal injury damages. He referred them to the insurance company. Anyway the legislation changed and apparently the claim had to go through PIAB. Anyway, PIAB recently sent him a copy of her statement for to ask if he agreed with the contents.

One of the questions was if the person has had a claim for injuries within the last five years even if it is not connected to the accident. She had ticked that box as no. I phoned the insurance company and they told me they were at present settling a previous claim with the same woman for the same type of injuries. I asked them if they were going to advise PIAB and they did not seem bothered.

Anyway, we wrote to PIAB and advised them that we were not in agreement with the statement submitted. That happened in March. Heard nothing since.

Back