Perm TSB and their Electronic Banking

paulgreen

Has anyone recently had difficulties signing on to the PTSB electronic banking? My son recently opened an account (forced to by Den Danske closing) but try as he might just cannot sign on has been given numerous temp passwords and reset's.The most alarming thing is no one from PTSB can tell him what the issue is!

He is getting them to do an account switch does anyone think he won't be live on EB until this is complete? although his accounts are open and we did a small transfer as a test payment,other than this the whole process was handled very well by TSB

Thanks

Have no problem with their service. Switching can take some time. I would get on to his switch buddy and stay on the line until it is sorted out. I complained by email about one aspect of the switch which turned out not to be their fault at all and they were very very prompt in handling my complaint.

Brendan, do you know something about PTSB you'd like to share? As a reason to distrust them above other banks I mean?

Brendan, do you know something about PTSB you'd like to share? As a reason to distrust them above other banks I mean?

Well yes.

Thousands of people thought that they were being really clever in switching to ptsb for the free banking.

Once in the door, they took out ptsb mortgages and ended up paying a Standard Variable Rate of 6.25% when AIB and BoI were charging 3%. They were probably paying €4,000 a year for their "free banking".

I think the obsession with saving €90 a year for free banking is potentially very dangerous. I bank with AIB and their internet banking is excellent. I wouldn't dream of moving to ptsb or anyone else to save €90 a year. If their service deteriorates I will be quite happy to move elsewhere.

Hi paulgreen,
I switched to PTSB in July and have had a good experience with their online banking so far in general. However, I did have an issue with getting it working initially - I remember some fuss with temporary passwords and so on like you are describing. I know I rang someone and got it sorted out in the end. It was a bit of a pain at the time, but I have had absolutely no issues with their online banking since.

They did my account switchover for me too, and I had an active online banking account which I was using successfully quite a few weeks before my switch date so I don't think the switch is what causing the issue for your son.

aamusername

I online bank with PTSB all the time and have never had a problem. It must be the initial set up.
I think Brendan went off topic with a rant about mortgages etc which didnt really answer the ops question. IMOH everyone to their own with regard to personal experiences with banks re accounts/mortgages etc. If someone wants to pay over the odds for their mortgage well they should have checked out what was on offer. I have free bankng with PTSB because I have a very old account and get my wages paid in every week and I wouldnt dream of moving to AIB or BOI.

Still OT I'm afraid but I did move to PTSB after 25 years banking with BOI who did absolutely nothing ever to retain me as a customer. I was interested in saving 90e a year and on two accounts it was more than that. Don't see why people would automatically take out a mortgage with PTSB if they switch for current a/c banking. As previous poster said people should shop around albeit in a fairly limited market.
But do people think PTSB is in trouble? They are certainly doing all they can to get money in, free banking, interest first accounts to beat the upcoming DIRT hike etc.

Likewise, I have has no problems with PTSB online banking or with their Android mobile app. Having used a few online banking systems and apps, I think PTSB has one of the better online services.

Don't see why people would automatically take out a mortgage with PTSB if they switch for current a/c banking

Consumers need to always be careful of a situation where a company offers a loss-leader in order to entice customers into other products. Some consumers will take the lazy option and go looking for a mortgage with PTSB simply because they have a current account with PTSB rather than shopping around.

Provided you shop around before taking add-on products then you are best off still opening a current account with PTSB and therefore not unnecessarily paying day-to-day banking fees.

But do people think PTSB is in trouble? They are certainly doing all they can to get money in, free banking, interest first accounts to beat the upcoming DIRT hike etc.

PTSB have had a survival plan with the EC for a long time now. Many people expect it to be approved. However, approval keeps getting delayed.

PTSB and KBC have been aggressive in deposit taking because they need to be. PTSB still have a 150% loans-to-deposits ratio that they need to reduce. Locally, KBC Ireland have a very high loans-to-deposits ratio.

whts the guarantee that you get better service if you pay bank charges... thats very unwarranted comment from brendan about PTSB's free banking... switched to ptsb about 4months back and had a initial hiccup with their internet banking... customer service is very helpful and resolved the issue within a day.

No problems with PTSB online services after moving from a BOI current account. I still use BOI 365 online with a savings account and PTSB is just as good.

I also have no issue with PSTB, I would say that AIB has the best internet banking in the market, but its not worth €60 every 3 months.

I remember when initially setting up my IB I did call the helpline and they talked me through the temporary password thing. You sign on alright but when you go to change your password the screen just said enter your password, not your new one or old one, so I locked myself out twice!

When PTSB took over Northern Rock customer accounts I have to say for me anyway it went as smooth as the top of my grandmother's grand piano. :)

I would say the initial set up was done wrong but what's annoying is talking to different people every time you ring up and none of them seem to have a clue on what's gone wrong our how to fix it.Also promising call backs that never happen.I agree when we went to the branch to open the account that was very simple but since then the whole thing has not gone to plan well we are going to try again today

I had to get mine reset a few times at the start too. It might have been down to me putting in the wrong details too many times though. It has been working 100% since though.

Finally worked this afternoon but still waiting for the phone call from PTSB found it out ourselves after trying it again hope this will be the end of the problem

Back