pension charges

Donal55

Can anyone advise me about pension charges. I pay into a number of small pension funds that different jobs have led me intro over the years. I know I should probably merge them all but that is a question for a different day. One of my small pensions is with Standard Life and I pay in €634.87 (which obviously used to be five hundred euro) each year. Unlike with other ones with Aviva and elsewhere I can add in once off payments to this Standard Life one and, to save tax, I can add in a few thousand for 2017. But looking at my statement, the charges seem rather high. In 2016 I paid in €634.87 as I say and then from this an allotment charge of €25.40 was taken, along with a service charge of €65.04 and there also seems to be a 0.5% annual management charge on top of these. I know that I am saving on tax by putting money in here, but I wonder if it is standard to have €90 taken off the top of a €654 payment which is almost 14% gone before the annual management charges kick in. If these percentages of fees are normal enough then I will put the extra few thousand in, as it is still a saving on tax, but if they seem high then I would look elsewhere. I took out the pension years ago with an old adviser in my town who has since retired and then passed away, so I cannot look for advise there. Because the sum is relatively small I have not paid much attention to it, but would appreciate any advice from wiser and more experienced members here. Thank you

Back