Penalty points not applied to licence until after insurance renewal date

Learner2015

Hi all, can anyone confirm the right approach in the below situation.

Named driver on spouse's policy got 3 penalty points and letter from the RSA confirming they will be applied to drivers licence on 10 September.

Spouse insurance renewal is on 6 September.

The two questions asked on the proposal renewal form are:

Do they have any current penalty points on their licence?

and

Have they ever received any convictions or have any prosecutions pending a court hearing? Please do not disclose convictions that are considered spent.

As the points are not actually on the licence is the right approach to say no at renewal on 6 September and then ring on 10 September and say licence now has 3 points?

Penalty points can be applied as the outcome of a conviction, but if the points were applied via a fixed penalty notice then they are not considered a conviction. You'll note most offences have two possible points values, the lower number applied via fixed penalty notice or a greater amount applied on conviction. No court appearance, no conviction.

The pending points are likely a material fact that should be declared to the insurer. If in doubt, contact a broker.

Penalty points can be applied as the outcome of a conviction, but if the points were applied via a fixed penalty notice then they are not considered a conviction. You'll note most offences have two possible points values, the lower number applied via fixed penalty notice or a greater amount applied on conviction. No court appearance, no conviction.

The pending points are likely a material fact that should be declared to the insurer. If in doubt, contact a broker.

Ok so I called and they said the following:

Penalty points paid via fixed charge are not a conviction and as they only apply to my licence after the renewal date it does not get recorded until the date they go on. So I have to call them on 10 September and let them know so have no effect on this years renewal. They might next year but they said normally 3 points don't attract a loading.

Back