Paye Worker Trying to Claim Medical Expenses for 2022

clueless

Can anyone help? I've no idea how to claim for medical expenses on the ROS website. I tried clicking into the review of 2019 - 2022 but it is refusing because I am already a PAYE worker. How do I make this claim?

Also am I eligible for claim for Medical Insurance, Laya, as well? And if so how would I do that for 2022 and 2021?

Normally, tax credit for health insurance is deducted by the insurance company and you are charged the insurance premium after tax credit, so there is no need to claim it separately

Have you tried going in through MyAccount? This page explains the process in detail - see How to Claim if you are a PAYE taxpayer and How to claim for previous years using myAccount

Can anyone help? I've no idea how to claim for medical expenses on the ROS website. I tried clicking into the review of 2019 - 2022 but it is refusing because I am already a PAYE worker. How do I make this claim?
You mean that you were previously self assessed and filing returns via ROS but are now (since when?) PAYE and using myAccount?
And neither system allows you to adjust the previous 4 tax years' filings online?
If that's the case then you'll have to contact Revenue (e.g. via myAccount messaging) and ask them how you can deal with this.

Normally, tax credit for health insurance is deducted by the insurance company and you are charged the insurance premium after tax credit, so there is no need to claim it separately
If an employer pays some or all of the premium then the employee needs to claim the credit manually.

The error message I get is as follows:
You cannot continue because you (and/or your spouse or civil partner, if applicable) were registered for Income Tax during this year

And I cannot go any further.

Have you tried going in through MyAccount? This page explains the process in detail - see How to Claim if you are a PAYE taxpayer and How to claim for previous years using myAccount
I was trying to do it through MyAccount but I got the above message. I think I'll just message them to see if they can tell me what to do.

The error message I get is as follows:
You cannot continue because you (and/or your spouse or civil partner, if applicable) were registered for Income Tax during this year

And I cannot go any further.
Youre recorded as self-assessed and therefore have to file a Form 11.

It's confusing that there are two separate threads about effectively the same issue...

Sorry. To me they were two different things. Is it possible to go in to the tax office to get help?

Sorry. To me they were two different things. Is it possible to go in to the tax office to get help?
You haven't really clarified things here.
Were you self-assessed in the past and filing Form 11 returns online via ROS?
If so, until when?
When did you become PAYE and able to use myAccount for your tax affairs?
Are you saying that neither system will allow you to review/update your tax affairs for the previous 4 tax years?

You haven't really clarified things here.
Were you self-assessed in the past and filing Form 11 returns online via ROS?
If so, until when?
When did you become PAYE and able to use myAccount for your tax affairs?
Are you saying that neither system will allow you to review/update your tax affairs for the previous 4 tax years?
I used to go to the tax office to file the Med 1. Then I started paying an accountant to do the returns because they got more complicated. I have only a temporary job which will finish soon so the accountant suggested doing the returns myself this year. I tried to use the MyAccount site. I couldn't get past the error message so can't update the flat rate for 2022 or anything else.

I used to go to the tax office to file the Med 1. Then I started paying an accountant to do the returns because they got more complicated.
You still haven't answered the questions that I asked.
In the absence of useful info all I can suggest is that you message Revenue on myAccount and ask them how you can deal with your issues.

Then I started paying an accountant to do the returns because they got more complicated.
At some point along the way, you were registered for self assessment tax. That doesn't happen by accident. If you no longer meet the criteria that requires self assessment (chargeable person), then you can request to deregister. If you have access to ROS you can do this online, or otherwise using form TRCN1 from Revenue website.

If you had an accountant before, they'll clarify if you're still a chargeable person if you're not comfortable providing relevant information here.

Your problem is that you can't use the straightforward way of filing a standard tax return on Revenue MyAccount to claim tax relief for your health expenses. The reason for this is you or your spouse are registered with Revenue as not just PAYE only. You are registered for Income tax for some reason. Until you sort that, you are stuck with filing a form 11 tax return via ROS not MyAccount. Only you will know why you or your spouse are registered for self assessment. It could be due to taxable non PAYE income over 5000 euro or having exercised share options.

Back