Passport Renewal

T

tri

If your passport expires in less than 6 months from the date you are travelling abroad, is it necessary to apply for a new passport before you travel?

The reason I ask is because I often hear it mentioned that you need to have a passport that is valid for more than 6 months after the date you travel. And I am going to the USA which is renowned for being very strict with procedures for entering that country.

No you don't for the US, some countries where Visa's are required have this provision but not the US. Make sure to fill in your esta before you go.

No you don't for the US, some countries where Visa's are required have this provision but not the US. Make sure to fill in your esta before you go.

Thanks.......Is there a website with that ESTA form that I can download? What is it anyway and what's it stand for?

just be careful with your photos, mine were rejected by the lady in the passport office as my ugly mush wasn't "centred" in the photo despite getting them taken in an approved shop and the Garda signing them to say they were acceptable. GOt more photos taken in passport office and was fine then

Can you get new photos taken in the actual passport office?
Do they have to be authenticated elsewhere, or do they accept there.
Im doing renewal soon myself.

just be careful with your photos, mine were rejected by the lady in the passport office as my ugly mush wasn't "centred" in the photo despite getting them taken in an approved shop and the Garda signing them to say they were acceptable. GOt more photos taken in passport office and was fine then
the garda is only signing to say that the photo is of you, they have nothing to do with whether the photo is acceptable to the passport office, in fairness the application form goes to great lengths to show what is and is not acceptable. and i'm not sure what 'an approved shop' is, think that's a bit of baloney from the shops.

I agree Decko about the Garda bit, the approved shop was actually a chemist that was very specific about ensuring I had the right photos centred etc and took photos a few times...anyway I just wanted to let people know just so they may avoid any unnecessary grief.

Can you get new photos taken in the actual passport office?
Do they have to be authenticated elsewhere, or do they accept there.
Im doing renewal soon myself.

yes you can, its 6 euro for photos and you get 3 attempts

Photos have to be signed by Guard. I had mine rejected because there was a hint of a smile on my face!!

There's a machine in Passport office but guy at desk recommended I go to photo shop in Dawson St to have them retaken.

Back