Passport Renewal a year before expiration ??

colin_hanley

Hi I have another year left on my passport. I am applying for a canadian visa and the process can take up to a year after paper-work, red tape etc. I need to send photocopies of my passport soon, but since I will be renewing it next year I was thinking of getting a new 10 year one now to save hassle down the line.
Does anyone know if this is possible ??
Thanks,
Col

I was in the same situation a few years back. On the application form there is a section for additional info. Just write in there that you need to a new passport now, due to visa application. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Incidentally can you download passport renewal forms? My wife's passport is due to expire in November and I need to renew. Can you go on holidays to the USA with a passport with less than six months to expiry?

Doesn't look like it but you can get them from POs and Garda stations if you can't get into the passport offices according to [broken link removed].

The short answer to your question is, it is possible to apply for a new passport at any time during the 10 year span. However, even if your existing passport is still current, you will still have to pay the full 75 euro fee.

For security reasons it has never been possible to download passport application forms - nor it is possible to appy or pay for a passport online.

The Passport Office have indicated these services will/may be made available in the future but to date, no country I am aware of, facilitate these services.

As previous posters mention above, you may pick up a passport form at any post office or Garda station. The An Post service referred to above, will allow you to have your new passport within 10 working days.

Just renewed my passport via the passport express service (it arrived back on the 10th working day). Cost was €82 (€75 + €7) paid by Laser, Visa not accepted. They seem to be scanning in the pictures now and they converted it from colour to black and white. The signature is a scanned in too rather than stuck in. The garda just signed the form without knowing me from adam.

Back