partners ex partners on mortgage,hasn't paid in years

lifeandtimes

Hi,

Ill set the scene and please note we will be in touch with the bank later this week,id just like to ask boards as everyone is really helpful here.

I currently live my partner,my partners two children live there and we are expecting another. My partners ex is on the mortgage which is 5 years old out of 30.Their relationship ended after a month of them being there and the ex has only made one payment to the mortgage in total. Iv lived there for over a year and half and have paid my share obviously technically as a renter though

My query is this...in the case were my partner informs the bank that the ex has not paid their half of the mortgage for the last 5 years what happens?

Like if my partner was to start paying 50 percent of the mortgage do they chase the ex for the rest and would they seize the house if my partner only continued to pay 50 percent the ex still didn't pay.

We can currently afford the mortgage which is fine and understand the legal requirements to have me put on the house i.e remortgaging it etc but im just curious as to this aspect.

I hear of relationships breaking down and the exs still having to pay their half which is their responsibility but obviously they are entitled to half of the house value etc but what happens when it turns out they dont pay?

Has anyone been in this situation before? I'm sure its probably common knowledge what happens(or should) but i am unable to link to the banks online help that explains this situatiion

My query is this...in the case were my partner informs the bank that the ex has not paid their half of the mortgage for the last 5 years what happens?

Nothing happens! The banks won't care as long as the mortgage is paying repaid

Like if my partner was to start paying 50 percent of the mortgage do they chase the ex for the rest and would they seize the house if my partner only continued to pay 50 percent the ex still didn't pay.

There're unlikely to chase her ex as long as they are in contact with your partner. It is likely that they would proceed to seize the house if your partner refused to repay the mortgage in full.

I hear of relationships breaking down and the exs still having to pay their half which is their responsibility but obviously they are entitled to half of the house value etc but what happens when it turns out they dont pay

They're still the legal owner and are entitled to half the house afaik.

I am not sure that there is anything at all to be gained by telling the lender that the ex is not paying. And I can see downsides e.g. if your partner says that he might stop paying, it might be more difficult for him to get the mortgage put into his own name.

This is a matter for your partner and his ex to sort out. They should address it as soon as possible.

If there is negative equity, the ex might be delighted to get out of the mortgage.

If there is positive equity, the ex will probably want their share of it.

Brendan

Back