part time work/back to education allowance

• Thread starter wonkeymonkey
  • Start date
W

wonkeymonkey

Hi,

I'm currently a VTOS student doing a FETAC level 5 course. I hope to go to university next year. I work part time about 14 hours a week and I'm wondering if I keep this on all year and through next summer does that mean I'm not entitled to the back to education allowance in Sept '08?

Thanks for that, my problem is with this bit:

" You must start your approved course of study within four weeks of leaving the scheme. Otherwise you must be getting a qualifying social welfare payment immediately before starting an approved course of study"

When i finish VTOS I will qualify for the BTEA but that will be in May and the course wont start until September. If I work during the summer do I lose all my entitlements for the next four years of college?

If your work is part-time you may still qualify for jobseekers benefit/allowance, disability benefit/allowance and one parent family (if under 400 pw). You need to check you can you still claim the benefit during the summer (even at a reduced rate) as i think this should keep open your entitlement. I'm pretty sure you do lose the entitlement if you no longer qualify for the benefit.

Back