Panels behind Rads to conserve 30% energy

I did'nt do my exact calculations yet, but will be doing so over the next few weeks and I will then let ye know then, oil tank does'nt seem to get filled up as often as it used

Did calculations today, got them installed in end of May 08 - bought 1363 Litres of Kerosene since then. For same time previous year (07) up to December 07, we purchased 1935 Litres of Oil which if my calculations are right is a saving of aprox 40%.

Jan to Dec 2007 bought 3287 Litres of Oil
Jan to Dec 2008 bought 3095 Litres of Oil

Oil usually turned off from end May to early october, but I know that it was back on earlier, in mid September this year. I keep the Oil Cooker thermostat at 70 and even sometimes when weather is milder back at 60 or 65.

Just checking our ESB consumption 2007 we used 5467 Units at a total cost inc vat €967.62 and in 2008 we used 5278 Units at a total cost inc vat 934.75 - even though the cost of ESB went up. We aim to be lower this year.

Phone Bill for year cost cost €3 more this year than last year.

I don't think that you can necessarily attribute most or all of the savings to these panels.

Did calculations today, got them installed in end of May 08 - bought 1363 Litres of Kerosene since then. For same time previous year (07) up to December 07, we purchased 1935 Litres of Oil which if my calculations are right is a saving of aprox 40%.

Jan to Dec 2007 bought 3287 Litres of Oil
Jan to Dec 2008 bought 3095 Litres of Oil

Good detail, It is very interesting

Would you mind giving more detail on heating system used.
As in:
Boiler size/make and model
m2 or sq ft of house
How many floors
number of radiators
distance of boiler from main house.

Hi Davy Jones, our house is 3950 mtr sq, it is a dormer bungalow. It was built in end 1999/2000 with block and standard insulation at that time. We have a stanley twin burner which is running 23 rads. We usually have the temp set at 65 and sometimes as low as 60 (lowest it will go) but in this cold spell gague we have it set at 70 and an odd nights we turn it up to 75.

Our house has all 7' high x 9' wide windows and most of the rooms have three outside walls, Our sitting room is 17' x 20' with a front bay window and back window and a set of french doors to the patio and a set of double doors to the sunroom - basically we live in a glass house which has all hardwood windows and doors and is double glazed with k glass.

We used to have it set at 65 min and usually at 70 pre panels and we now have the heating set lower with the house still at temp still at 20 deg

Wow I am astonsihed to see that you priced Woodies for 3 rolls @ 90 Euro, and he charged you 450 Euro for doing 21 rads in 2 1/2 hours (thats 7 min per rad)..I would love to work for you. He basically made (Im sure he buys materials in bulk) 300 % profit. Lets be real here, this is basic heat loss material being stuck to wall behind Rad, its not rocket Science, no wires, no controllers, just glue. I am sure it works though and will certainly try it myself, just my 2 pence worth. (how much would you pay to have some one place tin foil under the grill tray , it throws heat back up to the delicious harty morning fry and also acts as a deterant to corrosion of grill tray!)

LOL....my first loud belly laugh of the weekend, hopefully more to come, nice one Maximus :D

I am sure it works though and will certainly try it myself, just my 2 pence worth. (how much would you pay to have some one place tin foil under the grill tray , it throws heat back up to the delicious harty morning fry and also acts as a deterant to corrosion of grill tray!)

Sorry, yes sq ft! and 21 rads not 23 as above.

I have and would pay a proper price to have a job done properly, and not be looking at stuff hanging down the back of my rads and my wall messed with panel adhesive (glue as you called it). It is a lovely clean neat job and it is not obvious that there is anything behind the rads. I was also able to claim it back against tax :p as I run a business from my home.

I might take you up on the offer for the grill, I'l price around first!

Your welcome Galwegian44, and NHG, its good to laugh..especailly in these lets just say lean days!

I bought a large enough roll of this stuff to do 7 Radiators for £30 in B&Q in Newry.

Its easy to fit. Just cut 2 slits in it to about halfway up for the brackets where your radiator is attached to the wall. Slip it down the back of the rad and make sure the slits line up so it goes down all the way.

Then put some adhesive on the back and lower it down. Push it against the wall and rub wherever is slack with a stick so it all sticks.

Its not rocket science.
You can buy adhesive that washes off in case you are afraid of getting some on the wall. If you accidentally do get it on the wall wash it with a damp cloth.
You can see if the fit is ok and that none of it is visible when you try the fit before you stick. Use a scissors to cut it back where it shows.

There you go. A €450 job done in a couple of hours for £30. A 1500% saving.

Minion, now thats what Im talking about, you just conveyed my rational eloquently. You see we need to get back to reality in this country, time to be able to do simple tasks your self and tme not to be completely ridden rock solid (in best possible tatse of course). For example, I do all my DIY, I dont think I ever had an electrician/Plumber in my house as I do it all (I am an electrical eng). The saving one makes is quiet startling, I do understand not everyone can do these tasks as I am a terrible painter but my point is self suffiency is the way forward. Currently I am looking up how to make Solar panles (there quiet a simple construction) which they have been doing in Europe for years, they even have Solar clubs where ppl buy the raw material in bulk and exchange skills, like one can do plumbing, electrical and so on. (and no Im not a geek) I am just trying to convey that I think we are becoming redundant in our own homes, this was never the way. Learn some skills, its very rewarding, but more rewarding to pocket, my mum could bake, sow and worked, my Dad was able to do some stuff, but we learned rom them, hence I do quiet a bit for the now and Gladly. Okay, thank you and good night, steps of soap box, walks toward the stage exit there is silence in the room :)

How many EMO kids does it take to change a light bulb? none, they like to cry in the dark.

Maximus152
Because Im worth it

Gordanus, yes they do look simular to the ones in the picture that you posted. He had two different heights to suit the heights of the rads downstairs and the height of the rads upstairs.

To clean, I use a soft (old fashioned feather type) brush simular to the one that I use to clean the cobwebs from the high celings and corners, that I used to use when I cleaned behing the rads before I had the panels installed.

I assume it only makes sense to apply this to rads on external walls only? Once installed how visible are they? ie do you only install them between the wall brackets of the rad?

Thanks
S.

Back