painting kitchen cabinets

keary31

hi
im currently buying a new house so need advice is it possible to paint kitchen cabinets. its currently brown and i love the cream colour but dont have money at the moment to change.

thanks for any advice

As pointed out in the other thread, there's advice on painting kitchen cabinets in this previous thread.
Leo

Hi,
We have a kitchen that's at least 15 years old. We were going to buy a new one but then decided to paint it to see if it would make us not want to buy a new one...
We had brown cabinets top and bottom with a dark green tile between the top and bottom cabinets and the top cabinets and ceiling.

Before:
s1i1dk.jpg

After:
11bulhf.jpg

The paints we used:
jgnuvs.jpg

Ronseal Natural Stone Tile Paint.
Difficult Surface primer as undercoat on cabinets.
Cream Silk on top cabinets.
We decided on a red for the bottom and lucky enough as we were going through B&Q, they were having a clearance of some old paints. So we bought the tin of red (firecracker) for €1.00 and it turned out to be just the shade of red we wanted.
The most expensive part was new knobs for all the doors, which cost about €60.
In total the facelift cost about €120.

Good luck with it!

I actually think it would look better if you did it all red...don't like the cream against the white..bland..

I actually think it would look better if you did it all red...don't like the cream against the white..bland..

Strike that and reverse it,liked the off white but the red would be waaay tooo much for these tired eyes @ 07.45.

I wasn't really asking for opinions or tastes :). I just wanted to show the op that its possible to give an old kitchen a new look...

Ha, I have the exact same doors as iandublin2! mine were covered with some fake oak laminate that I pulled off, underneath mdf doors. So on a white primer and over it some magnolia type cream colour. Trick is to put very a very thin coat on each time, so you need a good few coats, but the outcome looks just the part!

Back