Package Holidays with Small Kids

wonko

Before kids we never went on package holidays but find now they are a safer bet.

What I'm trying to do is find some resorts that might be suitable. We'd be flying from Cork which restricts the options to the usual suspects when it comes to destinations.

So really I'm trying to find somewhere away from 18-30, stags, ibiza uncovered stuff. Not too isolated but a quiet resort.

Places we've found ideal were Nerja and Porta Pollenca. Somewhere with a good kiddies pool.

I'd love to hear a few suggestions

Alcudia in the North of Majorca and Es Cana in Ibiza have good memories for my children.
Depending on ages all you really need is a pool and a little night entertainment away from the "wild set"

Have you considered campsites Wonko. We've found them great for kids. There are some lovely ones in Lake Garda which is about an hour's drive from Bergamo airport if you don't mind renting a car.

Myself and the missus have been talking about this the last few days
We've been on package holidays with kids for the last ten years and every place is the exact same if your not sight seeing it really makes no difference .
All you need is a nice resort ,the name of the country doesn't matter .
My favourite so far was in Crete, actizues resort ,it has its own water park and it's the only all inclusive we were happy to eat in 90% of our stay
The setting and entertainment was really good for the money.

It's really a case of you get what you pay for with package holidays
18-30s stags etc... Generally don't pay top dollar for there holidays it's our opinion the more you pay the less likely you are to have a party next door and you'll have nicer facilities to boot .

Hi Wonko, I don't know how many kids you have or their ages of if you want hotel or apartment accommodation. I don't know when you're travelling. Ever thought of booking your holiday privately? You'll save a fortune. Throw a few enquiries on Tripadvisor for Mojacar Playa in Costa Almeria, Spain. About 15 years ago it was a last resort (pun intended) for Irish families. The resort has changed bigtime since and it has become a resort largely used by Spanish families, but English is spoken nearly everywhere there. You can fly into Alicante from Cork and avail of the shuttle service. Car Rential is an option too and still you should come out ahead of the package holiday prices. If you want a shorter transfer fly Dublin - Almeria and avail of the 45 minute transfer @ €18 per adult and €9 per child.

1. Three years ago the lady mayor of Mojacar banned extra loud music and even against lots of protests by bar owners business improved. Music is still played there along with even some karaoke but quieter than other resorts.
2. The bigger nightclubs are on the periphery of the resort.
3. The local bus service is good and cheap and you can visit the nearby villages and experience the markets.
4. Eating out is inexpensive with choice of Spanish, French, Italian, Asian, South American cuisine. Even the Brit places are good. Sorry no McDonalds or Burger King.
5. The promenade walk was extended last year where you can walk on the level for miles and watch the world go by. Be careful not to be run down by a Spanish baby buggy. You have been warned.
6. The beaches are good, clean and well maintained. A guy with a tractor and trailer shows up every two days and trawls the beaches, collects everything and leaves only sand and stones.
7. There is a line of pubs/restaurants but nothing like Bar Street in other resorts.
8. Mojacar Pueblo is less than 2 miles up the road. You must visit (local bus serves) and you can experience 360 degree views like you only thought of. The streets are cobbled, narrow and decorated with flowers. While it is turistic, it has maintained its charms.
9. There was a strip joint there last year but like lap dancing bars of previous years all closed down.
10. Stag/Hen do's are allowed but there must be no public display of the lewd items.
11. Drinking alcohol in public places is banned and the local police enforce the drinking laws.
12. The usual ringos, banana boats, motorised hang gliders are available and motorbikes can be hired if you are one of the brave.
13. Vera Aquaparc is a short bus ride away.
14. There is a relatively new cliff walk between Mojacar Playa and Macenas Beach hewn out of rock. Worth a visit, but bring water with you as Costa Almeria has the warmest and driest climate of any resort in the Mediterranean.

If you go after hotel accommodation, I recommend Hotel Puntzado or Mojacar Beach Hotel. Their food is good and all in is available if you want. You'll eat cheaper in the local restaurants and have more choice.

I have lived in Mojacar and continue to maintain a holiday home there, so my views would be biased.

Thanks for the feedback - never used travel agent until I had kids. But we get away so rarely now that we can't risk ballsing it up. When you are young and get a crap hotel what harm, with kids the wrong hotel/resort is a disater.

Salou seems to be a bit of a bags but could avoid

Any people like to comments on cambrils? Seems quiet - short transport from Reus - flights from Cork at reasonable times of day - day trip to Taragona and/or Barcelona.

Looks ideal - people have any comments?

Last edited:
Salou seems to be a bit of a bags but could avoid

Any people like to comments on cambrils? Seems quiet - short transport from Reus - flights from Cork at reasonable times of day - day trip to Taragona and/or Barcelona.

Looks ideal - people have any comments?
Cambrils is an upmarket extension of Salou. By all accounts, it is very nice and comfortable, not rowdy at all and near Port Aventura etc. We stayed in La Pineda, at the other side of Salou, and it was nice, quiet, very near Taragona which is worth a visit. Buses are good and frequent to Salou, Taragona, Port Av. etc.

Back