Overnight Allowance

Numbers

Can anybody give me a working example of the below rule as it always confuses me !!

Overnight Allowance (over 24 hours absence)
An overnight allowance covers a period of up to 24 hours from the time of departure, as well as any further period not exceeding 5 hours, which is necessarily spent overnight at least 100km away from the employee’s home and normal place of work.

Where an absence exceeds 24 hours, a day allowance at the appropriate rate may be paid only if the last period of 24 hours is exceeded by 5 or more hours.

Not being funny, but what's unclear about it??

Why don't you post up a set of facts and we can help you determine the correct treatment...?

So say someone leaves their office for 30 hours in total. Do they then claim the overnight allowance along with a daily allowance but if they leave for only 25 hours then its only an overnight allowance

So say someone leaves their office for 30 hours in total. Do they then claim the overnight allowance along with a daily allowance but if they leave for only 25 hours then its only an overnight allowance

That would be my understanding - based on what you posted.

30 hours = 24 hours (overnight allowance) + 6 hours (additional daily 5 hour allowance)
25 hours = 24 hours (overnight allowance) + 1 hour (no additional allowance)

Back