Out of contract - which energy provider is best?

Thank you for the explanation, Bonkers/Switcher are both showing the Bord Gais price after their proposed 1/10 increase, their own site is not! So it's taken into account in the figures I'm looking at, I just had a look at their own site for signing up purposes as the deal is not available to sign up to on the comparison sites and apparently the phone holding times are astronomical for BG!
Can you sign up for the deal on the Bord Gáis site? It shouldn't matter that the unit price doesn't show the upcoming increase.

If it's the same deal as the one shown on Bonkers/Switcher in terms of
  • the standing charge
  • the unit rate (as it is before the increase)
  • the unit rate discount percentage
  • any cashback offer
then it doesn't matter that the unit rate will increase next month.

Can you sign up for the deal on the Bord Gáis site? It shouldn't matter that the unit price doesn't show the upcoming increase.

If it's the same deal as the one shown on Bonkers/Switcher in terms of
  • the standing charge
  • the unit rate (as it is before the increase)
  • the unit rate discount percentage
  • any cashback offer
then it doesn't matter that the unit rate will increase next month.
Yes I'm assuming I can, I just haven't done it yet, will organise myself later this evening to gather the info. It is the same just without the increase being shown which is understandable, why would they show it on their own site!

Yes I'm assuming I can, I just haven't done it yet, will organise myself later this evening to gather the info. It is the same just without the increase being shown which is understandable, why would they show it on their own site!
I'm totally confused by the last few posts.
What is the issue with the prices quoted?
On which site(s?)?
Links to the relevant info would help.

I'm totally confused by the last few posts.
What is the issue with the prices quoted?
On which site(s?)?
Links to the relevant info would help.
No issue at all with prices quoted, it's actually good as Bonkers/Switcher are showing prices including next increase due in October for a few of the providers but obviously the provider, in this case Bord Gais, on their own site just show present price.

Have I a leg to stand on in this scenario:

1. Initiated switch through Bonkers 1 week before renewal date.

2. I was fully aware of my renewal date and had no intention of switching before it as I knew there would be an early termination fee. I even input the renewal date into the bonkers form when initiating switch.

3. Switch went through immediately and triggered early termination penalty of 50 with SSE A.

4. I challenged the fee with SSE A on the basis that I never instructed them to break contract early and I never instructed Bonkers to execute switch immediately.

5 I had also emailed SSE A at the time to say that I was intending to switch and had they any incentive for me to stay. They never replied to that email.

6. SSE A are holding their ground saying the fee is valid as the contract was terminated early – which is hard to argue with.

7. However, I am asking them to waive it, as a gesture of goodwill, on the basis that:

(i) I did not instruct them to early terminate (or Bonkers).
(ii) I emailed them of my intention to switch, post my renewal date, and so it was clear that I did not want to early terminate. They didn’t reply to that email.
(iii) I paid them a small fortune in the prior 12 months and 50 is just being scabby – of course this isn’t a strong argument but worth a shot.
(iv) They generally failed to communicate with me – they should have rang me when they received the instruction form the 3rd party, just to confirm with me and especially as it was close to my renewal date. This would just have been good customer service/practice. Also, as mentioned above, I had emailed them re my intention to switch

I think youre right Leo.

At same time is there any merit and asking SSE to waive it...im trying that angle with them but their dont seem to be for budging

Have I a leg to stand on in this scenario:

1. Initiated switch through Bonkers 1 week before renewal date.
I would say you don't. The last time I used bonkers to switch (~2 years ago) I thought it was pretty obvious that I was completing a switch there and then.

I don't know why you think you were only 'initiating' a switch and not actually completing your switch. If my memory serves correctly, they even warn you that you might face an early termination fee based on your renewal date so why did you proceed?

At same time is there any merit and asking SSE to waive it...im trying that angle with them but their dont seem to be for budging
You can certainly ask, no harm in that. I doubt they'll drop it that easily, but you never know.

I don't know why you think you were only 'initiating' a switch and not actually completing your switch. If my memory serves correctly, they even warn you that you might face an early termination fee based on your renewal date so why did you proceed?
I think youre right okgo. I did it in a rush that day and prob didnt pay heed to what you outlined. I thought though by entering renewal date i was covered

My Electric Ireland contract is expiring today.

They are giving me 150€ cashback and following rates:

Electricity=43c per kwh

Gas=13.5c per kwh

Any better deals for me?

Our usual bimonthly bill is 150€ for elec and 150€ for gas

according to One Big Switch, I can sign up with Bord Gais through them for:

Electricity Discounted Unit Rate: 32.29c/kWh. Annual electricity standing charge €281.12. All figures include VAT
Gas Discounted Unit Rate: 9.79c/kWh. Annual gas standing charge €169.4. All figures include VAT

my contract with EI is now up until the end of the month.

I think youre right okgo. I did it in a rush that day and prob didnt pay heed to what you outlined. I thought though by entering renewal date i was covered
I would say you don't. The last time I used bonkers to switch (~2 years ago) I thought it was pretty obvious that I was completing a switch there and then.

They waived the €50 much to my surprise. My well worded email paid off.my defence, essentially, was that i never instructed sse nor bonkers, explicitly, to terminate early.i also pointed out that sse coukd/should have phoned me when they got the instruction from 3rd party to verify it and to just communicate! i also pointed out that i had emailed them around that time stating intention to switch and asked them if there was any incentive to stay. They didnt reply to that email. I stead they terminated my account.
Final score: arthur 0 - 0 SSE A. Arthur wins 1 -0 Aet

Last edited:

Electricity Discounted Unit Rate: 32.29c/kWh. Annual electricity standing charge €281.12. All figures include VAT
Gas Discounted Unit Rate: 9.79c/kWh. Annual gas standing charge €169.4. All figures include VAT

This plan asks you if you have a Smart Meter Plan and won't let you continue if you answered YES.
I have free Sunday electricity plan with Electric Ireland and may not be eligible for this great value plan.
Correct me if I am wrong please.

Thank you very much for that. I am just out of contract with Energia.

Current rates are 44.44 cent less just 10% discount = 40 cent plus 9% VAT = 43.60 cent

They used to offer 40% discounts!!

I was about to switch to EI, rates as follows:

39.70 cent less 8.5% = 36.33 cent plus 9% VAT = 39.60 cent

So EI is 4 cent cheaper than Energia.

Now, thanks to you, I will be paying:

44.21 cent less 33% = 29.62 plus 9% VAT = 32.29 cent

Plus a saving on gas of 3.5 cent per unit.

Thank you.

Hi All,

So I can't switch to BordGais via Onebigswitch as I am on Smart Meter Plan.

Electric Ireland are giving me 150€ cashback if I stay with them and following rates:

Electricity=43c per kwh

Gas=13.5c per kwh

Free Sunday electricity.

Could there be better deal out there for me?

Bonkers, Power Switch and CRU sites suggesting to get two different providers for Elec and Gas. And saving is minimal.

Back