Our very own wine club!

Firefly

Myself and my father have just started our own wine club!

We're gonna put a tenner a week into a kitty and share 1 bottle a week (probably on a Fri night). We both only drink red wine (except for dessert wines and sparkling wine/champagne) so the only rules are:

The wine should not be less than 10 euro to buy nor more than 20 euro
The wine should NOT come from France (as we both really only drink French wine and want to broaden our horizons)

This way we get to sample some nice wines which we would not individually buy. Our initial focus will probably be on the reds of Spain and Italy before venturing further afield.

We're putting 20 quid in each tomorrow night to cover an initial float in case something exceptional comes up (rule #1 already broken!) or we fancy cooking lobster or something sometime.

We are planning to rate and keep a log of each bottle we try so we know for the next time.

Can anyone think of a better way to spend an evening with your Dad? :)

If anyone has any particular recommendations I'm all ears...

Thanks,
Firefly.

Your first choice should be South African wines: so should your second choice.

We're gonna put a tenner a week into a kitty and share 1 bottle a week (probably on a Fri night). We both only drink red wine (except for dessert wines and sparkling wine/champagne) so the only rules are:

The wine should NOT come from France (as we both really only drink French wine and want to broaden our horizons)

This way we get to sample some nice wines which we would not individually buy. Our initial focus will probably be on the reds of Spain and Italy before venturing further afield.

We're putting 20 quid in each tomorrow night to cover an initial float in case something exceptional comes up (rule #1 already broken!) or we fancy cooking lobster or something sometime.

We are planning to rate and keep a log of each bottle we try so we know for the next time.

Thanks,
Firefly.

FAIL!

The oul lad can't make it this weekend...Might have to go solo!!

Lost me there...;)

Hi Vanilla,

Myself and my father must have, between us, been drinking wine for 40 years :eek:. I would say, again between us, we have consumed no more than 20 or 30 bottles of wine from outside France in that time, so we are in this regard creatures of habit. In an effort to broaden our horizons we're going to go further afield (or that was to be the plan before he stood me up!)

Might still pick up a Crianza from Rioja tonight to get me going...

Firefly.

Your budget will stretch to a good Reserva or maybe even a Gran Reserva....don't deny yourself :D

Your budget will stretch to a good Reserva or maybe even a Gran Reserva....don't deny yourself :D

Actually had a lovely Rioja from Supervalu the other week and the Reserva is on my list:

Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja
SuperValu, reduced to €8.99
Up to St Patrick’s Day, SuperValu was offering the Campo Viejo crianza at a reduced price of €7.99. Well now it completes a neat double act by bringing its reserva stablemate down to nearly that low price. Elegant, well matured fruit, accompanied by a polished wood.

Read more: [broken link removed]

Thanks,
Firefly.

Not a fan of wine but to answer your question in bold above...

Go to a soccer match with your father... As a child I remember my dad bring me to a cold, wet and windy Turners Cross to see Cork Cetlic play. It was the days before winter warm clothes (or maybe it wasnt and we just couldnt afford warm clothes!!) so he always made sure I left my pyjama bottoms on inside my pants for protection against the cold.

I would pay a million euros to have those days back.

Not a fan of wine but to answer your question in bold above...

Go to a soccer match with your father... As a child I remember my dad bring me to a cold, wet and windy Turners Cross to see Cork Cetlic play. It was the days before winter warm clothes (or maybe it wasnt and we just couldnt afford warm clothes!!) so he always made sure I left my pyjama bottoms on inside my pants for protection against the cold.

I would pay a million euros to have those days back.

No doubt about it, this is the Post-of-the-Month. Are you my son Banker?

Actually had a lovely Rioja from Supervalu the other week and the Reserva is on my list:

Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja
SuperValu, reduced to €8.99

Yep, that's a good one. Riscal and Faustino would be two of the bigger produces there, you should try those too. Faustino 1 is usually ~€22/23, but Superquinn often have it reduced.

I spent a week on holidays in Rioja a few years ago, nicely timed to cooincide with their harvest festivals. And people say that we drink a lot!

Back