Only worked in public sector for a few years...

spindizzy

If you work in the public sector for about 5 years and are then made redundant can you claim back the pension contributions made for those 5 years as I will now not receive any pension from that job????

I didn't receive any redundancy payments as in my last position I was only there less than 1 year and so not entitled (just in case the point was made or question was asked)

Thanks

If you work in the public sector for about 5 years and are then made redundant can you claim back the pension contributions made for those 5 years as I will now not receive any pension from that job????

I didn't receive any redundancy payments as in my last position I was only there less than 1 year and so not entitled (just in case the point was made or question was asked)

Thanks

Can you clarify what area you worked in? It is very rare for a public sector worker to be made redundant except under a union negotiated scheme, in fact the term itself is almost unheard of in PS terminology.

Can you clarify what area you worked in? It is very rare for a public sector worker to be made redundant except under a union negotiated scheme, in fact the term itself is almost unheard of in PS terminology.

I believe the orginal posters was on a temporary contract and that it was not renewed. This is typical in the Public Sector where temporary staff members contracts are not being extended.

I believe that the orginal poster may be able to claim back some of their pension contributions but they would need to check this with their former HR department.

I believe the orginal posters was on a temporary contract and that it was not renewed. This is typical in the Public Sector where temporary staff members contracts are not being extended.

I believe that the orginal poster may be able to claim back some of their pension contributions but they would need to check this with their former HR department.

I think that 2 years is the time limit on being able to get your pension contributions back, i.e. after two years of contributions they are held towards your pension.

I think that 2 years is the time limit on being able to get your pension contributions back, i.e. after two years of contributions they are held towards your pension.

Yea. I thought there was a time limit on it.

Yea, just got a letter recently from pension section, 2 years is the limit so as I was there longer I can't claim back but can claim a pension, albeit a very small one, when I am 65 or so!!!

Back