Motor Only Owner(Wife) can be Main Insured person on CAR not Husband

jumper1

Hi , have one car between my Wife and I and my Wife is the named Owner of the Car . Each year when the Car is up for renewal we change the name of the Main driver of the Car e.g 2009 I was the main Driver and my wife was the named driver , 2010 My Wife was the main Driver and i was the named driver e.t.c . Have bee doing this for years and no Insurance Company ever questioned this pratice. The reason we were doing this was so that we both could maintain our no claims .

Went to an Insurance Company X this year and asked if i could be main driver for 2013 policy even though my wife was the owner and they said that the pratice i was doing was illegal as the Main person on the Insurance could only be the owner of the Car even if we were swapping between husband and wife.

I contacted 123.ie and they told me that between Husband and wife it did not matter who was the main driver (Husband or wife) as long as one of us owned the car

This has put a doubt in my mind and I am concerned now that if i did have an accident that any underwriters would refuse to cover me if i was insured as the main driver and my wife was the owner of the car .

Is Company X correct in what they are saying .

Regards, Jumper1

I don't see why you wouldn't have an insurable interest in the car,as it is clearly a shared asset,and both of you would equally stand to lose in the event of a crash.
My insurance company certainly allows it anyway.

I'm with vandriver. AFAIK that's how it always worked. Is company X the one now owned by the nice American man we hear on the radio?

What you are doing makes sense in relation to keeping your NCB, I understood you lose your ncb every three years if you lapse your insurance policy but am open to challenge on that, I did the same thing a couple of years back and it never made any difference.

Two years with most companies. Only one or two let you you keep it after 3.

Back