Online shopping: recommended sites

LMNOP

I can’t find a previous post or at least an up to date one, so I’m wondering if people can share their favourite online shops??

Time is ticking, especially for US deliveries so I’m looking for sites people recommend. No areas in particular - my family, like most, cover a wide range of interests.
Ebay, strawberrynet, Amazon….

great for jewellery gifts (compare with Irish Jewellers prices!) and girlie stuff, 30 day money back guarantee, big player v. reliable.

www.lizearle.co.uk
Isle of Wight based skincare cult products. v reliable and v good customer care.

[broken link removed]
wicklow based health food and Lavera skincare (quality German skincare) v reliable and v good customer care

handy for making reservations without having to listen to that awful voice on their phone line :)
http://www.nextdirectory.ie

Go easy when on line shopping it is easy to really over do the retail therapy:eek:

A few sites to add to the list:

[broken link removed] (DVDs - not always cheapest, but worth a look from time to time)

www.play.com (CDs, DVDs, books, gadgets, games......)

[broken link removed] (skincare, very good for Dermalogica, free delivery with orders over £30, based in Newry)

[broken link removed]

Irish site with a good selection of games. Does not carry every game out there but all the newer ones are there. They had a game there that was sold out everywhere - Ben 10 - Can't tell you how many shops I visited trying to get it :) No delivery charges either.

www.cdwow.ie (CDS AND DVDS AND COMPUTER GAMES)

free delivery & 'bargain basement' sections can have very good deals on occasion

www.thegigastore.com (KAPPA SPORTS STUFF)

free delivery & some good reductions

(VARIOUS)

Big reductions but no delivery to ireland. Need someone over there.

[broken link removed] (ELECTRONIC STUFF)

Will save quite a bit when u compare to 'real' shops

anyone know of a good site for books (aside from amazon)?

I am looking for the address of an online shop that has fantastic daily specials. Does anyone here know it?

Just wondering what the point of this thread is. There must be hundreds of thousands of online shops. Are we going to list them all?

Just use google.

I cant find it and I thought I heard about it here (its very very good)

I'm sure what I'm going to say is no surprise to those of you experienced in online shopping but maybe there are other eejits like me out there. I'd only ever bought books online and had no problem.
Anyway last Nov I bought online from Abercrombie and Fitch. It was a total of $308 which included $97.29 freight costs and the parcel was delivered by Fed Ex.
This was Nov 2007. Imagine my surprise when I get a bill from FedEx in April 2008 for 85Euros, i.e. Fedex International Priority Duty of 25 Euros, Vat of 49Euros and Admin Fee of 10 Euros(Have left out various cents from all the bills).
Initially I thought it was an error and contacted Fedex who told me this is a common occurrance with this website and to read the T/Cs again. Sure enough I find a mention of taxes and duties that may be payable.I didn't pay for priority delivery and when I took the parcel there was no mention of any money owed to Fedex.
I haven't paid but am going to as its not worth a bad credit rating. However to be honest it took the whole good out of the deal.Anyone else have similar experiences and was the mistake mine and how to avoid in future?

You are liable for duty but AFAIK books are exempt which is why you were ok with Amazon.

However to be honest it took the whole good out of the deal.Anyone else have similar experiences and was the mistake mine and how to avoid in future?
It is your mistake but a lot of people have been hit with it. Youre liable for tax on a lot of goods from places that we dont have tax agreements with. e.g. I got hit with a large bill when I purchased goods off an ebayer based in switzerland not knowing about the lack of tax agreement with them. Still saved on high street costs but drastically reduced the saving.

I try and buy from sites with free or low delivery costs.

memory cards , free delivery in ireland : www.shop4memory.com
musical equipment with practically free delivery : www.thomann.de
real cheap stuff from china with free delivery :
www.dealextreme.com or their sister site for more techy stuff www.selloffaccessories.com

.. theres always the large powersellers on ebay who nearly always have reduced delivery charges.

Thanks for that, I still got value but the fact that the bill came so many months later was a bit of a shock.

Back