Online Car Scam

Hi All,

Haven't been on this forum in ages!

I'm glad this thread is still going and making people aware of these scams. From reading back on the posts, it seems like many people were helped by this thread.

Thanks to everyone that has posted!

Keep spreading the word! :)

I'm looking for a car at the moment and Carzone has become a real pain to use - it seems to be plagued with scammers and UK cars advertised with 'VRT extra' prices.

If I was a cynic I'd say the dealers were behind it. ;)

yea, the exact same thing happened me. i wanted to buy an audi a3 and despite the recession they're still dear, so i saw an 05 one in dublin for €6000 euros, and contacted him, his storey: car not in ireland, as he was in Germany and he'd had a bad marriage and nasty divorce and wanted to move back there to his mother etc etc. he told me he was using a company for shipping and they handle the money as a mediator and ill get to test drive the car before this company transfers the money to him. i was seriously considering going ahead with it, until i checked out the company that he was using. theyre called Iloxx. theyre legit, but their website is in German,so i asked a friend to translate it, they ship cars and everything allright, but only between GERMANY and AUSTRIA, i confronted him, and he had another storey,so i just left it. but i checked around online and there were more audis going really cheap,so i contacted them to see what they said, same storey"not in Ireland" "nasty divorce" "new job" so i guess the best thing to do is buy from an authorised dealer, pay more money for peace of mind!!

Hey Louise yeah I saw the ad on CBG.ie as well, emailed her and found out the situation. The car is posted on the site at the moment exactly as it was a few months back. I wanted to believe her as I was desperate for a mini in my price range so I don't blame you for trying to grab a deal. Its unfortunate that there are people like her doing this, I actually was going to get the report on motor checks too but the fact that I couldn't speak to her directly bothered me. Hopefully a real bargain for a mini comes soon!

I saw a Audi A6 which the seller stated the car was in Liverpool but requested payment prior to seeing it!!
Alarm bells

Louise,

Your post has been extremely helpful. We were following up an ad which we now recognise is a scam. I would like to thank you for a most informative post and I was a little sad that you had to put up with some really stupid comments along the way.

Kind Regards

I saw an article on German tv where a couple paid for a car to be shipped from Ireland. They were given a tracking number to enter to a website where they could see the location of the ship that was shipping their car. After a week or so, when their money had cleared through the bank transfer, the website came back with "The page cannot be displayed" and that was the end of the story.

I saw this only a few weeks ago also and thought the peice was 2 good 2 be true, that's obviously how it turned out... 1/3 the price really as a 04 A3 is around 14k unfortunately haaha. Got e- mail 2 go 2 liverpool and dat she lives in USA so i knew straight away.

Hi,

Just came across this thread !! The Audi A3 registered to Sonya Cudden is still on CBG!! Ive been aware of these scams with a few weeks but was shocked to find that this particular scam was even happening in 2008!! Is there anyway the gardai or CBG can stop it?? I got the email with the log book etc and there was even an address on it.

I had this exprience two weeks ago also e mails below. Mycontact is in Red his e-mails in blue,

Audi A4 S-Line 1.9TDI 2004

The price is 4500 euros
Alloys, Sunroof, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, DVD !
Sport Line Model Full S Line Body Kit 17 RS Alloys Center Arm Rest 7 inch Touch Screen DVD player/CD Sat Nav Ready Wind Deflectors. Spare Wheel Alloy Absolutely Immaculate inside and out Reasonable Offers Considered. A real head turner and great fun to drive.
Diesel 4 doors, manual transmission, Silver.
Mileage : 42,500, NCT 08/2010, Airbags, Alloys, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Traction Control, 1 owner.
Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
Here are some photos.

Many thanks, Pat.

E mail 2
Pat,

Just to confirm there is no VRT to be paid on this car? It has been registered in Ireland? Di you buy it from new from your brother? Will you have to come from the USA to meet me, if i decide to purchase?

Regards,
Henry

Hello Henry,
Thanks for your e-mail! Here are my car docs. NO VRT TO BE PAID!
As I allready explained , I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this deal.
I could meet you there this weekend, if that is ok for you too, but I have to be sure that you are serious, because I have a long way ...from USA to UK .
So here are my conditions:
I won't ask for any money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 4500 euro). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
Your friend will be the sender and you will be the receiver in Liverpool.
(I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale documents. Then we will go to a Western Union office, you will take the money and pay me.
PS: I told you that someone else must be the sender, not you, because some Western Union offices do not give you the money if the receiver is also sender.
Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 4400 euro+ fees 100 euro= 4500).
This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.

Let me know if this is OK with you as soon as possible , let me know if I should reserve the car for you.

Thank you,
Harte Pat

E Mail 3

Pat,

Is the car still for sale. I will purchase it if it is.Have you any family in Clare?

Regards,
Henry

Hello Henry,
Please read again my last e-mail, yes, my car is still for sale!

Thanks
Pat

E Mail 4

Pat,

Sorry if i am coming across a bit suspicious, but the car seems to be underpriced is there a reason behind this? Can it be seen in Liverpool at the moment?

Regards,
Henry

Hello Henry,
Here are my car docs.
Ok, I will book my car for you.OK, the car is fully paid, I own the car, no speeding and parking tickets, there is no problem, I can assure you about that!
Ok, the car is locked in a garage that I have rented in Liverpool, as I don't have anyone there to take care of it. It has been off road for only 2 weeks when it has been serviced . So it is ok, you don't need to do any repair , you don't need to change anything, I changed the tires too, they are new.

The car is not far from the airport, but if you don't know Liverpool at all, I can wait for you at the airport.
I have a lot of people asking me about the car. Now if you want to reserve it, I am waiting for the copy of the western union transfer. And then we will discuss the details of our meeting in Liverpool.
You must go to a Western Union agent , (you can find one in each postal office or Western Union Agency). As I allready explained you in a previous email ( where I told you about the transfer), you will make a deposit on your name for the price of the car ( 4400euro + aprox. 100 transfer fees)..=4500 euro, so you won't pay more then we agreed.
As I told you , you will be the receiver for the money In Liverpool.
Ok, you knew about the fees, I told you about that. I told you that you will only transfer 4400 if the fees are 100 , so that you don't pay more then we agreed.
Ok, I will be waiting for the copy of the transfer Western Union!

Kind Regards,
Harte Pat

E Mail 5
Pat,

Can you confirm its 47k mileage, have seen two adds on the net! One says 102k on the clock.

Regards,
Henry

Henry,
What is the site with 102k? maybe my son put wrong in the ad!

E Mail 6

Pat,

Is this a genuine car and price? Be honest! Its in the free ads section, for sale since janurary. I have the receipt from western union i need an honest answer.

Henry,
Why you lie me?

E Mail 7

Sorry, Pat. What do you mean?

about your transfer, about all , about transaction.
I cannot waste my time

My final Reply, have heard nothing since
I have not lied, i had transfer ready to go, how can you possibly know i dont! I was very keen in the car, but it all seemed to good to be true, this is an obvious scam on your behalf and i will be contacting autotrader and the guards, to report this.

Thanks for wasting my time!
Its sad that you have to try and con people to make money; it really is.

We all chase a deal if we see one, its not getting caught is the important part, i had never organised money with wetern union, so he obviously had a conact and would have been able to get the money out somehow, even though this shold have been secure.

www.selfbuildardmore.blogspot.com

Hi there
This is still ongoing. Was sucked in enough to receive second email on the car - the 02 mini! The mail was the exact same as those above. Luckily I googled Amanda's name and found this thread. Well done Louise on highlighting this! Seems amazing that this is ongoing over a year later! Carzone should have better checks in place.

hey all fair play to ye on being carefull one can never carry out enough checks, never experienced this though personally thankfully

Unfortunately I am a victim of this car scam. But I'd like to help others not to make the same mistake. So here is the story:

I have seen an advert on the carzone.ie. It was a BMW, reg. No.02-D-81300
BMW 318Ci Coupe 2002

The price is 3800 euros
Petrol, 2 doors, manual transmission, silver.
ABS, Air Con., Airbags, Alarm, Alloys, CD, Cruise Control, Fogs, Immobiliser, Leather, Metallic Paint, Side Airbags
Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has BMW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK. I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Here are some photos.

Many thanks,Ann.
1. email

Hello Erika,
Thank you for your reply. As I allready explained , I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this deal.
The car is not far from the airport, but if you don't know Liverpool at all, I can wait for you at the airport.
I could meet you there this weekend, if that is ok for you too, but I have to be sure that you are serious, because I have a long way ...from USA to UK .
I won't ask for any money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 3800 euro). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
Your friend will be the sender and you will be the receiver in Liverpool. (I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale documents. Then we will go to a Western Union office, you will take the money and pay me.
PS: I told you that someone else must be the sender, not you, because some Western Union offices do not give you the money if the receiver is also sender.
Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 3700 euro+ fees 100 euro= 3800).
This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.

Let me know if this is OK with you as soon as possible , let me know if I should reserve the car for you.

Thank you,
Ann Hand

2.email

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply again. I know it is a very risky business for you ,but it is risky for me as well. I also have to be sure, that you are coming, and the car is in a good condition , because I also have to buy a flight ticket, and a ferry ticket for the return way.
So , here is my idea.
I book my flights, and I send you the booking reference. So you can be sure, that I'm going. And I'd like to ask you to send your booking reference as well, because I am looking for a car for a while, and I had bad experience.

We could go on this Sunday, and we would be there by 11:45 a.m.

Please, let me know if it is OK for you, and then I can book my flights.

Thanks,

Erika

3.email

Hello Erika,
Ok, I will book my car for you.OK, the car is fully paid, I own the car, no speeding and parking tickets, there is no problem, I can assure you about that!
Ok, the car is locked in a garage that I have rented in Liverpool, as I don't have anyone there to take care of it. It has been off road for only 2 weeks when it has been serviced . So it is ok, you don't need to do any repair , you don't need to change anything, I changed the tires too, they are new.

I have a lot of people asking me about the car. Now if you want to reserve it, I am waiting for the copy of the western union transfer. And then we will discuss the details of our meeting in Liverpool.
You must go to a Western Union agent , (you can find one in each postal office or Western Union Agency). As I allready explained you in a previous email ( where I told you about the transfer), you will make a deposit on your name for the price of the car ( 3700euro + aprox. 100 transfer fees)..=3800 euro, so you won't pay more then we agreed.
Ok, you knew about the fees, I told you about that. I told you that you will only transfer 3700 if the fees are 100 , so that you don't pay more then we agreed.
PS: When you will go to make this transfer at Office Post, you will say that you want to send the money for your cousin, father, mother, or another member of your family, because if u say that you will send the money for the car, maybe is another fees, for business transaction....

Kind Regards,
Ann Hand

4.email

Hi Ann,

I haven't got an answer from you, that you could reserve the car for me. I couldn't do the money transfer in the morning, because the bank opens at 10a.m., and I am working from 10a.m. So I could do it in the afternoon, if you could reserve the car for me.
Could you let me know, if that is OK?

Thanks

Erika

5.email

Hello Erika,
Ok that's great.. I will book my car for you..and I will be waiting for your Western Union receipt!

Thanks,
Ann

6.email

Hello Erika,
I'm waiting for your receipt!

Thanks,
Ann

Unfortunately I was so eager to get this car, that I have done the money transfer. But I didn't send her the receipt, just a picture about the trasfer status, which was ready to pick up by receiver. So she didn't know any details. How could she pick up the money anyway.

I reported the case to the police and the Western Union, but I think they don't do anything at all. Western Union is sucks. I paid €126 for the transfer, and they gave the money to someone else. And there is no insurance, there is no responsibility. How could it happen????????? What else can I do???

Hi

Just to let you know, the person behind the scams above. i.e. living in US with dead brother in Liverpool is BACK! I actually almost fell for it last week myself. This time that person we trying to sell an A4 grey color, 04 Irish regs 04CE5066. 'he' even sent me 'his' pictures to prove it that 'he' is real.

Lucky my brother in law read this post and told me about. Now I'm writing to give a heads up.

By the way, I tried reporting him and couldn't find any specialized department whether in Ireland or UK for cyber crimes. If anyone knows please let tell me.

Many thanks

TK

Hi I found on last Sunday on donedeal service a preety BMW 2002 year for price of 3800 euro. Then I mailed this person and |I told I'm Interested to buy that car.

After 3 hours information with the car was deleted from donedeal.ie

I've got e-mail from that person that the car is located on Liverpool in UK, but she living in USA, then we can meet in Liverpool to make a deal, but I need to pay Western Union deposit of 3800 euro to Liverpool on my name.

And she said what I need to do Is just a send scan of receipt from Western Union that she can check it with western union if everything is ok with that.

Then I think. WTF ?? it will be ok, if I will send money to my own name but yestarday i saw on tat forum some1 get the same text from this person in august this year, I check all other website, from deutschland, holland, france, poland, and you wanna know what I found ??

All seller doing the same. The same good looking true story about their life and why they need to sell for cheap price a car. All what I found is a all seller talking about story that all cars is located in different towns in United Kingdom.

They sending also via e-mail their ID scan and Car Registration form scan. I was think, that was to much and easy to get this car. Now I know this is a 100% scamm.

I want to go this week to Gardai station and tell them about this. The sellers is using proxy list to stop find them in IP address, but this e-mail was send from google mail, then google located in Dublin can find his inside IP address and get provider+home address.

This is what I get:

1st mail:

BMW 318Ci Coupe 2002

The price is 3800 euros
Petrol, 2 doors, manual transmission, silver.
ABS, Air Con., Airbags, Alarm, Alloys, CD, Cruise Control, Fogs, Immobiliser, Leather, Metallic Paint, Side Airbags
Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has BMW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.

Here are some photos.
Many thanks,Ann.

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

2nd email:

Hi again,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, NCT available 12/2010.
As I allready explained , I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this deal.
I won't ask for any money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 3800 euro). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
Your friend will be the sender and you will be the receiver in Liverpool.
(I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 3700 euro+ fees 100 euro= 3800).

Thank you,
Ann Hand

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

3rd mail:

Hi again,
My car have a full BMW Service History! Ok, I will book my car for you.
The car is locked in a garage that I have rented in Liverpool, as I don't have anyone there to take care of it. It has been off road for only 2 weeks when it has been serviced . So it is ok, you don't need to do any repair , you don't need to change anything, I changed the tires too, they are new.
You must go to a Western Union agent , (you can find one in each postal office or Western Union Agency). As I allready explained you in a previous email ( where I told you about the transfer), you will make a deposit on your name for the price of the car ( 3700euro + aprox. 100 transfer fees)..=3800 euro, so you won't pay more then we agreed.
Ok, you knew about the fees, I told you about that. I told you that you will only transfer 3700 if the fees are 100 , so that you don't pay more then we agreed.
PS: When you will go to make this transfer at Office Post, you will say that you want to send the money for your cousin, father, mother, or another member of your family, because if u say that you will send the money for the car, maybe is another fees, for business transaction....

Kind Regards,
Ann Hand

What do you think about that?? I think this ID maybe was stolen or something. I want to tell about that and show all proofs to Gardai Station.

Regards, Police Man ^^

Look at the font at C.4.C

HAND
MS ANNE

it have more dark color, and different font on car form, It's 100% Photoshop

I checked IP address of his e-mail. And I know now he using PROXY LIST with stolen IP address to not show his real location.

His e-mail address using to scamm people: [email protected]

Received: from mail-fx0-f207.google.com ([209.85.220.207]) by col0-mc2-f28.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);

Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:27:28 -0700
Received: from mail-bw0-f166.google.com ([209.85.218.166]) by col0-mc1-f14.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:42:14 -0700
Received: from mail-bw0-f221.google.com ([209.85.218.221]) by snt0-mc2-f18.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);

Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:39:21 -0700
There is a different location in USA bettwen that 3 e-mails. But I'm preety sure I will get his real IP address. I've got this 3 IP found inside his 3 e-mails:

Received: by 10.239.183.22 with SMTP id s22mr1537347hbg.6.1256719160604; Wed,

28 Oct 2009 01:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.239.161.69 with SMTP id g5mr643890hbd.161.1256564532935; Mon,

26 Oct 2009 06:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.239.134.221 with SMTP id a29mr1241971hba.20.1256509647167;

Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Few days and I will get his real location. He using google mail. Then Gardai can easy call Google company located in Dublin and get his provider and provider will get his home address. Thanks for reading my post.

its a pity, carzone & the other websites cannot put a section on their websites warning potential buyers of scams, and give examples of these scams.

its a pity, carzone & the other websites cannot put a section on their websites warning potential buyers of scams, and give examples of these scams.

But they do.

There is a link in red with a little yellow warning sign at the top of the page entitled Car Warning Scam.

Back