Online banking access

joanmul

Has anyone experienced difficulties with joint bank accounts i.e. I manage our accounts online but my husband can't (is unable) to do anything online. I want to know how to minimise his difficulties with accessing our accounts. I vaguely remember reading here years ago that a person didn't succeed in getting the bank to allow his mother to have physical access to her account, even though he put the request in writing. I am concerned about our situation as I had significant health issues in the past and would like to "do the right thing". We are both in our mid seventies.

Forgive my method of phrasing this question but do your husband's difficulties stem from:
  • Lack of technical insight with the devices, phone, tablet, PC
  • Physical or intellectual limitations
  • A combination of issues?

Has anyone experienced difficulties with joint bank accounts
I needed to be set up for joint account access with Bank Of Ireland and once done (many years back) no issues seeing the account / paying to and from that account to other accounts etc.

I also share a credit card account with my significant other, and I can not access that account online to view transactions (even though I'm named on the account and have my own card to the account).

If your husband can not access the account online, maybe the first point of contact would be the bank itself, asking why he can't.

An alternative (and not recommending that you do this as you could be in breach of rules & regulations blah de blah) is to give him your access so he can login online..

In terms of giving online access to another person, I've had to do that recently for my mother who has moved into a nursing home. In our case, we had previously put Power of Attorny in place for her and now it was just a simple form to be filled in and signed in the branch (Bank of Ireland) and then we can apply for the relevant access. I'm assuming I won't be able to add the accounts to my own BoI profile but will simply be able to access via a different PIN number but that will be the next step to sort

No problem with AIB as they just set up a separate profile to the same joint accounts. Different log-in, PIN etc.

I needed to be set up for joint account access with Bank Of Ireland and once done (many years back) no issues seeing the account / paying to and from that account to other accounts etc.

I also share a credit card account with my significant other, and I can not access that account online to view transactions (even though I'm named on the account and have my own card to the account).

If your husband can not access the account online, maybe the first point of contact would be the bank itself, asking why he can't.

An alternative (and not recommending that you do this as you could be in breach of rules & regulations blah de blah) is to give him your access so he can login online..
Thanks for your reply. I may not have been clear enough in my post. My husband has a lack of technical insight (thanks Mathepac) which he freely admits to. At this stage of our lives, unfortunately that can't be addressed.

Short of you setting up a recurring transfer into the credit union and let him withdraw as required I'm afraid there is not many options. I wonder is this something we should ask Baz about next time he's waffling on the telly about the F word.

Back