office block being built at the end of my garden

J

john.m

Hello Folks,
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.
An office building has just been put up, just past the end of my garden. Thankfully there are no windows (so far) looking in at us. It's just a wall facing us.

But, according to the marketing brouchure for the office building, there is a roof terrace. This would be looking directly into out kitchen and bedrooms!

Might anyone know of a good way to approch the builder or estate agent (or anyone!) to have them put up a eye-level screen or something?
thanks!

Did you not see the planning permission notices for this development and make a submission/objection?

Forget the marketing glossy and check out the planning file in your local authority. That will tell you whether they are allowed have the terrace there or not. Planners tend to look poorly on buildings overlooking residences (hence the big wall with no windows facing you) so if they have allowed the terrace you should find they have put in a condition for some form of screening.

If you are lucky a call to the planning department might get someone with a little time on their hands who will look at the file for you and advise, but you can still go down in person and read the file. The reports tend to be pretty readable so you won't have to spend ages looking for the relevant section.

Basically your first step should be to find out if they are allowed have it or not and if they are then what kind of screening they have to use. Armed with that info you are in a much stronger position when you go to talk to the developer/management company.

z

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies.

Nope, I did not see a planning notice. It would presumably have been at entrance to the office park, which is not on my road.

I'd better brave the planning office again. The file is massive! there were tons of objections and revisions. During my first visit, I did not notice details like a roof terrace or screen, just felt panicked and sick that the thing was happening at all.

I guess a lesson would be to take the odd trip to the planning office even without seeing any signs, just as a precaution!

I guess a lesson would be to take the odd trip to the planning office even without seeing any signs, just as a precaution!

Surely this is not necessary when you can use their website. For example have a very handy set-up.

Back