October 31st deadline

ClubMan

As mentioned elsewhere due to a very small amount of non PAYE (ESPP) income Revenue in their wisdom have me classed as self assessed for 2010 so my return is due. But I lost my ROS certificate and need a replacement and am awaiting something in the post to retrieve this. Obviously if it doesn't arrive soon I won't have the ROS/November 15th extension option. In that case I must make the return and payment by the 31st. In that case is it possible to drop the form/payment into a letterbox somewhere on the over the bank holiday weekend or, in practice, does it have to be in by close of business on the Friday?

Clubman, I think you have things the wrong way around.

If your cert' arrives before 15 Nov' you can pay and file up to that date.

The 31 Oct' deadline only comes in to play if you intend to just file and not pay. So if you filed your return on 29 Oct 2011 without payment no surcharge will apply. You will be assessed as normal and pay what's due.

If you file in Nov' you'll have to file and pay at the same time.

Obviously if the income was v. small and also small liability it might not make any difference as the surcharge would only be 5% once filed before the end December.

Thanks HS - I probably have got it wrong. :eek: In my case all deductions (PAYE income tax/PRSI/levies& ESPP RTSO1 tax) have already been paid. If there are any outstanding liabilities then they would arise purely because of marginal balancing issues (e.g. can't remember but are PRSI/levies due on deposit interest etc.?). But I assumed that if I'm late then any surcharge would be calculated on my full tax liabilities for last year and not just whatever (if anything) has not remains outstanding. Are you saying that any penalty would be just on whatever amount might be outstanding? And just to clarify - there's no mad rush for me to get my return (and payment - if any) in by the 31st so I can wait until I get my new ROS cert?

And - yes - I know I left this a bit late and should have done it earlier but I still think it's crazy that some marginal ESPP nominal income causes me to be classed as self assessed... :(

If there are any outstanding liabilities then they would arise purely because of marginal balancing issues (e.g. can't remember but are PRSI/levies due on deposit interest etc.?). But I assumed that if I'm late then any surcharge would be calculated on my full tax liabilities for last year and not just whatever (if anything) has not remains outstanding. Are you saying that any penalty would be just on whatever amount might be outstanding?

The late surcharge is applied on the outstanding amount (before previous Preliminary tax payments are taken into account).

This is assuming you're not a company director, in which case the surcharge is applied on your entire liability including PAYE already deducted (as per law © Bertie Ahern, well known accountant and tax compliance advisor :rolleyes:)

For what its worth, traditional Revenue practice at deadline times has been to accept items postmarked on or before the deadline day. So its likely that if they receive your paper return in Tuesday's post, they won't apply the surcharge. That said, as you're resident in Dublin it might be easier to drop it into one of their office postboxes over the weekend?

Thanks T. So in my case my "preliminary" tax is the PAYE and ESPP RTSO1 already paid in 2010 and which - as I said - should be the bulk if not the totality of my liabilities (barring any minor balancing discrepancies)? I'm not a company director by the way. I just thought that the pressure was on to get something done by Friday (in the case of the paper form) or November 15th (in the case of an online ROS return). I'll probably wait for the new ROS cert and do the latter so.

No, in your specific case, any surcharge is calculated solely on the net total of the balancing discrepancies.

Grand - thanks a lot.

Hopefully now that the ESPP is no unfortunately longer operational (since 2010) a Form TRCN1 will get me off self assessment from 2011 onwards.

As mentioned elsewhere due to a very small amount of non PAYE (ESPP) income Revenue in their wisdom have me classed as self assessed for 2010 so my return is due. But I lost my ROS certificate and need a replacement and am awaiting something in the post to retrieve this. Obviously if it doesn't arrive soon I won't have the ROS/November 15th extension option. In that case I must make the return and payment by the 31st. In that case is it possible to drop the form/payment into a letterbox somewhere on the over the bank holiday weekend or, in practice, does it have to be in by close of business on the Friday?

If you contact the ROS liaison officer in your District office, they should be able to get you sorted, or at least confirm for you that they'll get you sorted in time to file online by 15th November.

Thanks mandelbrot - I'm on the last step of getting the new/replacement ROS cert - waiting on something in the post with a password/PIN that allows me to download the cert itself. I don't think that they can do anything more for me manually since this is an explicit security measure that they have in place as part of the certificate issuance process. If the post doesn't arrive by Friday I'll call them to see if I'll be OK for the 15th. Either way since the potential penalties are most likely negligible I'm not going to worry too much about it after all.

Once you get up on ROS by 15 November and you get your return and any required payment submitted on or before that date, you're fine.

In that case is it possible to drop the form/payment into a letterbox somewhere on the over the bank holiday weekend or, in practice, does it have to be in by close of business on the Friday?

There will be a drop box available all weekend in Sarsfield House, Francis Street, Limerick to accept all paper returns

None in Dublin though (or anywhere else)

Thanks. I had assumed that a Form 11 went to the local tax office. I didn't realise that it was centralised to Limerick. I'm not going to worry about this too much. If I get the ROS cert thing this week then I'll start the return before 31st. If not then I'll just do the return before the 15th. If I'm late at all then any penalty arising will presumably be nil or negligible. In my case it's bureaucratic stupidity that requires me to make this return when all tax issues have already been taken care of. I know of people who simply didn't bother declaring the ESPP income and their lives are simpler even if they are evading tax. Not by any means condoning it but Revenue don't exactly encourage honesty with their approach here... :rolleyes:

There will be a drop box available all weekend in Sarsfield House, Francis Street, Limerick to accept all paper returns

None in Dublin though (or anywhere else)

Is this true? I remember the good old days delivering tax returns to Lansdowne House and Hawkins Street at midnight on deadline day. Are there no letterboxes there now?

Back