NPPR a deductible expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanieG

Just read about this in today's paper - a recent High Court case has confirmed that the NPPR charge should actually been allowed as an expense against rental income. The Revenue are appealing this but in the meantime, to avoid the 4 year time limit on refunds, it is advisable to file an amended income tax return for 2013 so that the charge for this year can be deducted (it is too late for charges paid in 2009 to 2012).

I was unfortunately completely unaware of this charge until it was brought to my attention in 2013. At that time I had two rental properties, one of which was liable for the NNPR for 4 years (it was my PPR until 2010) and the other one for the full 5 years. I immediately contacted the County Council in question and they agreed that I could pay the total amount outstanding of €5740 (consisting €1800 for the charges themselves as well as a whopping €3940 in penalties) in equal installments over the following 3 years which I did and all outstanding liabilities were deemed to be fully paid up last summer.

As the payments were made late (i.e. during the last 4 years) does this mean I am not statute barred from claiming a refund? Can I file amended income tax returns for 2013, 2014 and 2015 and deduct the charges paid to the County Council in those years as expenses against any rental income earned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back