Life Noticed mistake on life insurance health questionnaire

O

oliver1975

I was reviewing my life insurance details and I noticed two small mistakes in the health questionnaire, one relating to me and the other to my wife. We started the policy two years ago.

The questionnaire asked if we had parents who were diagnosed with cancer before 60. The answer on the form is no, but in practice my wife's father was diagnosed with a non-heridatary form of leukaemia at 59. At the time of filling in the form my wife's age calculation was wrong; she had thought that he was 60 at the time of the diagnosis. (He was successfully treated and is in good health 8 years later).

The second issues relates to me and is slightly more complex. About a month after starting the policy I was told by a doctor that i had Gilbert's Syndrome, which basically means that i have a raised liver enzyme. It is of no clinical significance whatsoever; there are no health complications relating to it and it is quite common in Ireland. However, looking back now, I can recall a different doctor who didn't speak good English telling me that i had this PRIOR to starting the insurance policy. He wasn't clear about the name or what it was, he said it was a normal thing and that it was nothing to worry about and gave me nothing in writing about it. For that reason I never even considered it when applying for life insurance, and it was only in retrospect that I now see that it could be significant.

I am going to contact the insurance company. What is likely to happen - will this negate the policy altogether or will they increase the premium or are the issues so small that they will just note them?

1 family member having a non heritary condition is unlikely to have any impact. If 2 or 3 family members had a condition then the underwriters would be concerned.

In relation to yourself, you answered the questionnaire to the best of your ability truthfully at the time of proposal. Advise the insurance company, they may ask for further information or a test but its unlikely to affect your policy.

Advise the company involved and take it from there.

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

Back