Not paying stamp duty? Possible?

Catman

Have decided to go with a solicitor (new solicitor) for transfer of property (earlier thread refers).
The transfer is that I am getting the remainder 50% share of an inherited house that my sibling also inherited. So I will own the whole house after this happens.
In my quest for the search for said solicitor, one mentioned to me on the phone that she thought it might be possible seeing as consideration for the property has already passed (I have already paid my sibling by giving my old house and this transfer of property is done) and so on that I might not have to pay stamp duty. What she said was "there is a strong case to be made".

Does anyone know on what grounds this might be? I want to mention it to the new solicitor as I didn't go with the one who said this in the end. It would be nice to save on the stamp duty. FWIW, I would only be paying it on the part of the property that I am buying apparently.

There used to be a "break" on stamp duty if there was an element of "swapping"

I don't believe it is still there. I believe that stamp duty will be payable

mf

I see that now, alright, I don't think that was it. I am not sure that was what she mentioned. Urgh, there was some turn of phrase used. I can't very well call and say "Oh hello there, I don't intend engaging you as my solicitor, but if you wouldn't mind awfully...."

The chap I am using doesn't intend doing it as a sale, but as a transfer . Not sure what the benefit is of that. Is there one?

Last edited:
Back