noisy boiler

cnu

Hello All,

My boiler makes a lotta noise just before it starts up. I've called up Board Gais Engineer who referred me to a plumber[registered with board-gais], finally I was told the pump is gone.

Reason: This is what the contract company told. There is a lotta limescale deposit because of water pumped into our Estate. Replacing the boiler is not good-enff, I need to power-flush out the limescale [costs 450 for power flush, 600 for the Boiler pump] or get it replaced by a similar boiler [costs 1800] or get a sustainable energy [boiler that costs around 2500].

Have you faced this kinda issue?

Thanks

What type of boiler have you?

Are you sure they said €600 for a pump, sounds like a mistake. or did you mean €600 for both pump and power flush?

€450 for power flush is a good price.

If you change boiler you will by law be required to get a high high efficiency type replacement.

Do you rads heat up ok? any cold spots etc?

Yeah Davy I agree...600 for a pump (15 mins to change! max)
would usually only charge for the part for something like this if doing a power flush already.

Just had a powerflush with sludge remover and added inhibitor for a customer or mine.
The plumber charged €480 for the flush, rinse, refill & treatment. Also balanced the system and replaced a pump. I supplied the pump which cost €80.
He is also RGI plumber and does a lot of Bord Gais work.
So, in my view, the advice you got is correct.

Depending on the age and condition of your boiler you may be better to replace this as many of the new (highly efficient) boilers have the pump built in to the system. You will easily save the cost of the upgrade by the annual savings in the heating bills and you may be able to get the SEI grant to upgrade the system. A new gas condensing boiler will cost about €1800 fitted.

Nobody is casting any doubt on the advise, just the price of the pump replacement.

1800 for a new boiler, is a general price (without flushing I assume)

Boiler installation cost depends on a couple of important factors,
one of which is what type of boiler is quoted, large price differences lets say between a Heatline Vizio and a Vaillant 630, and this is directly linked to build quality in my opinion (I know which I would rather have in my own house seeing as I would like it to last 15yrs+)

Hi,

We live in an estate detached house where the neighbours inside boiler outlet is situated underneath our bedroom, as a result we are missing so much sleep. Is there any solution, if we offered to buy a new boiler would the noise be still the same. It takes many times to fire up and then hums away all night. Its driving us crazy. Please any advice appreciated.

It should not take more than one attempt to fire, but as for
the noise, the new one may still disturb you, would only make your
off if the boiler location was changed

Back