no insurance!

gubby

I was driving my daughters car in early December because my car was in the garage being repaired.

I hit another car with a couple in it and they called the Guards.

I admitted being in the wrong (another motorist beckoned me on and I didn't see the other car). Now I was stopped in the middle of the road and only hit the other car from a car length away so there could not have been very much impact.

Anyway, the next day I discovered that even thought my husband was insured to drive my daughters car, I was not as I was only an name driver.

My husband rang the couple and explained this and we agreed to pay for repairs to their car which came to €2,200.

Then, the other day, low and behold they wrote to us through a solicitor saying they were going to claim for personal injuries even thought they know that I was not insured.

I am nearly gone mad with worry. I would not have driven to the gate if I had known that I was not covered. I even had my 6yrs old granddaughter in the car with me.

I honestly find it very hard to believe that they could have received any injury.

any advice please

You have a serious problem. Tney can sue and if they are sucessful, they will recover from your daughter(owner) and you (driver). Your daughters insurers will have to deal with the claim under the Road Traffic Acts, but will look to you and your daughter for recover of their outlay. You and your daughter should immediately send on the letters of lcaim you have received that the insurers cna deal with them. You should them try to come to some agreement with your daughters insurers as to how much you will repay them in full and final settlement.

Whatever happens, do NOT put your head in the sand and try to deny the problem.

Go to your own solicitor and do not sign anything from your insurance company or any other before getting your own independent legal advice.

I would not have driven to the gate if I had known that I was not covered.

any advice please
Make certain that you're covered before you drive someone else's car.

Is it possible that the motorist who waved you out carries some liability in cases like these?

Back