NIB To Ditch Laser, IPSO Likely to Wind-Down Laser in September

Last week, AIB announced that they are ditching Laser for Visa Debit. Now the last remaining bank to support Laser cards, NIB, are also pulling the plug. NIB will introduce "an international debit card" later this week.

Meanwhile, the directors of IPSO will make a decision on what to do with Laser in September. It is likely that a wind down decision will be made.

Hopefully, NIB will, like AIB and BoI, support a NFC 'contactless' debit card.

Source: Sunday Business Post article by Emma Kennedy.

This could be a big issue for Lidl and Aldi and their customers - as they don't currently take credit cards.

Aldi accept Visa Debt, but not Visa Credit.

Hence, customers will still be able to use their new debit cards there.

Confirmed. Finally.

NIB are ditching Laser.

[broken link removed]

In the coming months, the internationally-recognised Visa Debit card will be introduced to replace the existing Laser card service.

when your OP mentioned international debit card I assumed MasterCard. Danske use MC for their debit cards so I assumed they would use that here too. No doubt Northern Bank will follow suit.

Nice improvement.

What's the down-side of Visa Debit (as opposed to Laser card)? I like Laser and find it easy to use for cash at ATM machines, or to pay for groceries, etc, also my utility bills over the phone.

Is there an interest charge for use of Visa Debit .....?

Thanks, Molly

In those respects, it works exactly the same. The difference is, it's accepted everywhere Visa credit cards are (so it's infinitely more useful for using online, abroad etc).

The fees will be relatively similar to whatever your issuer charges for Laser cards.

Agreed but the fees for non base currency transactions (e.g. ATM withdrawals abroad) are much higher with Visa Debit (certainly with AIB anyway).

Just got my nice new combined Laser/Maestro card from NIB today - the letter says that they sent out the activation code a few days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Just got my nice new combined Laser/Maestro card from NIB today - the letter says that they sent out the activation code a few days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet.

The activation code is not necessary if you have eBanking, you can activate your new card with your pin, go to Cards & currency – Card Overview, then select Activate card from the drop down menu beside the card you wish to activate.

Interestingly the expiry on my new card is only Oct 2013 which would suggest the Visa Debit is coming soon.

Looks like it will be 2013 before we get Visa Debit. My card was skimmed recently and the lad in Northern Bank who called me said they have it earmarked for early 2013 Jan/Feb - but the cards will change anyway from 15 November to reflect the Danske branding - seems like a lot of waste if you ask me, replacing cards at that rate.

You will be getting another new card soon, when NIB ditch Laser.
Freudian slip?
The activation code is not necessary if you have eBanking, you can activate your new card with your pin, go to Cards & currency – Card Overview, then select Activate card from the drop down menu beside the card you wish to activate.

Interestingly the expiry on my new card is only Oct 2013 which would suggest the Visa Debit is coming soon.

Thanks - my missus rang the bank, and got through to some nice lady that told her we didn't have to activate the cards at all, as there are existing accounts. This is despite the cover letter explicitly mentioning an activation code. It's a bit mad, Ted.

Back