Newspaper Advice! – Don’t take any notice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in the article is he talking about short term investment.... come back after 5 years and say something way way off , not 8 months...

I often have to laugh at the frequent use of "canny investors" investing in far-flung regions.
It typically goes like "the canny investors are already snapping up aailable property in Ulan Bator", as the Mongoloian economy gets set to explode":rolleyes:
..........yet they rarely feature any "canny investor" that has actually realised a gain through their transactions. Put simply, the inference must be as the property sections are a conduit for significant advetising revenue for a given paper, a certain editorial bias tends to creep in......with no thought for the gullible chumps out there that believe the guff

Listen -- do you all believe everything you read in the papers ? It is in the best interests of newspapers to talk up the property market. Take a look at the papers - who is paying for the advertisements - and who is benefiting - the newspapers. Since 2005, we have all seen residential property explode in price so much so that the consequences are now happening. The figures are there (the papers print them in small slots). A complete oversupply, but EAs would allow sellers advertise lower prices. So for the single biggest investment a house buyer is ever going to make, they must enter into a horse trading arena. Newspaper advice on property - FORGET IT. Better of going to the Zoo and asking the monkeys. At least you will have a laugh.

The figures are there (the papers print them in small slots).
Have you not been reading the headlines?

With hindsight, they don’t seem to be very "smart" now because property prices have reduced by about 15 to 20% since then.

Not that you are not smart or anything, but I'd be wary of asserting that property prices have dropped 15-20% when its not the case.

Yeah, that was one of the worst and most embarrassing pieces of guff I came across in the Irish meeja last year.

I wonder if Brendan bought a fairly expensive house and was worrying about contracting teh negative equity?

I'd be wary of asserting that property prices have dropped 15-20% when its not the case.

So you think they've dropped by even more that that do you? You're a negative nelly aren't you :p

no problem I'm surprised more people don't realise that most new developments are now doing buy one get one free now as an incentive, it really is a buyers market.

Have you not been reading the headlines?

Not that you are not smart or anything, but I'd be wary of asserting that property prices have dropped 15-20% when its not the case.

The market as a whole has dropped by more than 15% IMO. Just ask anyone who is trying to sell

The market as a whole has dropped by more than 15% IMO. Just ask anyone who is trying to sell

I take it your living in Dublin, the 'market as a whole' is much further reaching than the outskirts of the capital. Limerick for example is on average around a 5/6% drop.

Has the ban on discussing the (downward) trend of property prices finally been lifted from this site? Never thought that would happen, suppose the truth had to be acknowledged finally

Has the ban on discussing the (downward) trend of property prices finally been lifted from this site? Never thought that would happen, suppose the truth had to be acknowledged finally

I think but am not sure that we can talk about past house prices just not on future house prices.

Maybe a mod can confirm this? Is it just the future that is off limits or are the past and future off limits?

I'd be wary of asserting that property prices have dropped 15-20% when its not the case.

You better ring Eugene Sheehy (Chief Executive of AIB) and tell him your insight MrMan.

Because he just made an awful eejit out of himself in AIB's annual results presentation when he said that house prices have dropped by 15%.

He also said that the correction has been going on for 6 quarters, has further to go and he sees no recovery until at least 2009.

But what would he know, eh?

You better ring Eugene Sheehy (Chief Executive of AIB) and tell him your insight MrMan.

Because he just made an awful eejit out of himself in AIB's annual results presentation when he said that house prices have dropped by 15%.

He also said that the correction has been going on for 6 quarters, has further to go and he sees no recovery until at least 2009.

But what would he know, eh?

I don't suppose there are other 'experts' out there that can be rolled out to support differing arguments. Lets just say that I'm confident in my ability on how to use a calculator and I have actually been dealing with real life issues, I have dropped prices on some and not all houses, things that have been selling have not been in double percentage figures below asking (in most cases). But what would I know, eh?

I don't suppose there are other 'experts' out there that can be rolled out to support differing arguments.

Are you comparing your own 'expertise' favourably to that of the Chief Executive of AIB there MrMan?? Maybe you should send them your CV..

Lets just say that I'm confident in my ability on how to use a calculator and I have actually been dealing with real life issues

So you're still denying that house prices have dropped by 15% in Ireland MrMan?

Not in Limerick, Ireland. You're the one who brought Limerick into this thread. House prices did not appreciate as much in Limerick, so they will probably not fall as far. Unless Dell goes, in which case all bets are off.

Anyway, I'll take Eugene Sheehy's word over yours, if you don't mind.

Are you comparing your own 'expertise' favourably to that of the Chief Executive of AIB there MrMan?? Maybe you should send them your CV..

I would suggest that you reread that line: 'I don't suppose there are other 'experts' out there that can be rolled out to support differing arguments' which contends that rather than me wanting Eugenes job, I was merely pointing out that experts have differing opinions on the matter.

So you're still denying that house prices have dropped by 15% in Ireland MrMan?

Where did I say that? Did I not say that is was misleading to suggest that house prices in Ireland have dropped 15-20% and further commented that the Irish market is not exclusive to Dublin therefore to get accurate readings one might have to broaden their horizons.

Not in Limerick, Ireland. You're the one who brought Limerick into this thread. House prices did not appreciate as much in Limerick, so they will probably not fall as far. Unless Dell goes, in which case all bets are off.
Limerick was brought in to highlight how such information that is openly portrayed as the Irish market is misleading, there are other areas that are similiar to Limerick I'm sure, but I can only reasonably comment on the market that I am involved with on a professional basis.

Anyway, I'll take Eugene Sheehy's word over yours, if you don't mind

Each to their own.

Where did I say that? Did I not say that is was misleading to suggest that house prices in Ireland have dropped 15-20%

I'll remind you of what you said (in a very snide and high handed manner I might add)

"I'd be wary of asserting that property prices have dropped 15-20% when its not the case."

So what did you actually mean by this MrMan? Please do tell.

Limerick was brought in to highlight how such information that is openly portrayed as the Irish market is misleading,

Referencing Limerick is totally misleading. It is miles cheaper than all the other main cities. Of course prices there have fallen by less. They never rose by as much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back