New Manager changing existing holiday arrangements

johnd

Can a new manager change an existing arrangements regarding when an employee may take holidays? A friend has been working for a company for over ten years, She works part time so her holidays are adjusted and are just 10 days a year. She used to take a week (5 days) in Spring and Autumn and it suited her and her family. Now, her new manager wants her to take the two weeks together because it is easier from his point of view.

She doesn't have a written contract and has had no problem with her former manager or workmates in the past. Can she insist on taking her holidays as before? I would be grateful for any advise.

While I can't answer your question it appears a little odd that she has only 2 weeks holidays in the year so I just wondered is she getting her full holiday entitlement. I do realize she works part time.
Say she works 2 days per week she is entitled to 8 days holidays which = 4 weeks

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nd_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

Taking annual leave
It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within 6 months of the relevant leave year. Further holding over (also known as carrying-over) of annual leave at your wish is a matter for agreement between you and your employer.

I have had staff looking to book a lot their holidays in one go for a trip abroad/getting married but usually not altogether. One girl wanted 6 weeks off (1 carried over and her full from the current year) but I asked her to keep a week for unplanned days, she thanked me afterwards. You need more than one break a year.

I agree with black sheep she should be getting 20 of her working days as leave (excluding public holidays). Is she working every day, every other week or 2/3 days a week?

Say she works 2 days per week she is entitled to 8 days holidays which = 4 weeks

Maybe I'm missing something here but how is 8 days holidays equal to 4 weeks off?

To my way of thinking 20 days holiday would equal 4 weeks off.

Because if you only work 2 days a week then you just need to take 2 days holidays to get a week off. If you have 8 days holidays to take that effectively gets you 4 weeks without having to go to work.

Because if you only work 2 days a week then you just need to take 2 days holidays to get a week off. If you have 8 days holidays to take that effectively gets you 4 weeks without having to go to work.

Mmmmmm it was 1:24AM when you submitted the above, so I will excuse you for that. The working week generally consists of 5 working days not 4......

Mmmmmm it was 1:24AM when you submitted the above, so I will excuse you for that. The working week generally consists of 5 working days not 4......

Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet ;) but if you work 2 days a week and have 8 days holidays to take then that means you don't have to go to work for 4 weeks

4 weeks with no work = 4 weeks holidays

Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet ;) but if you work 2 days a week and have 8 days holidays to take then that means you don't have to go to work for 4 weeks

4 weeks with no work = 4 weeks holidays

You're absolutely right - I didn't have my coffee at that time. This age thing is really getting to me. Once upon a time I could count, looks like that is gone too. Apologies

Back