New Kindle -billing in GBP even though amazon UK account billing currency is set to Euro

telco

Hi
I am new to Kindle - got the latest version at the weekend - I have an Amazon UK account which when I checked settings re currency it tells me billing currency set to Euro

I did email support at Kindle and they told me to check this - I can confirm it is set at Euro

When buy a book on the kindle its quoting me a price in GBP and no option to change billing to euro on the kindle ( I have tried several books ) - no option to change on orders on Amazon account either

Anyone have this issue ?

I was thinking of resetting the kindle to German region - but want the books in English clearly

Thank you

I pay for everything in sterling on Amazon. Paying in euro leaves you at the hands of Amazons terrible curr rates.
Sorry I can’t answer your question but I’d see paying in Sterling as a plus.
Ditto.

You say you are buying on the Kindle itself. If you buy the books through the Amazon website via a browser where your currency is set to Euro, the Kindle prices should be in Euro too. They download onto your device pretty instantly.

When buy a book on the kindle its quoting me a price in GBP and no option to change billing to euro on the kindle ( I have tried several books ) - no option to change on orders on Amazon account either
Is it actually billing you in GBP when you go to checkout, or just displaying the prices in GBP before you purchase?

You say you are buying on the Kindle itself. If you buy the books through the Amazon website via a browser where your currency is set to Euro, the Kindle prices should be in Euro too. They download onto your device pretty instantly.
I tried buying a kindle book on the amazon UK site on web browser - same issue although I have bought previous physical items ( tend not to now re customs brexit etc ) and was able to change currency to Euro

Is it actually billing you in GBP when you go to checkout, or just displaying the prices in GBP before you purchase?
It displays book price in GBP and only option it to buy book on Kindle ie I am not getting go to check out on the Kindle

I thought paying by debit/credit card the bank or credit card provider generally give you a worse rate - is it not always advisable to buy in your home currency than to be at the mercy of bank/credit card company - less FX exposure ? I am thinking about linking it to an Amazon Germany account and there is an option in settings to change the language to English

is it not always advisable to buy in your home currency than to be at the mercy of bank/credit card company - less FX exposure ?
No. Amazon add a markup to the exchange rate too. The only benefit of Amazon is the rate is guaranteed, so you know exactly what it is.

I tried buying a kindle book on the amazon UK site on web browser - same issue although I have bought previous physical items ( tend not to now re customs brexit etc ) and was able to change currency to Euro
That's strange. To test this I just changed my currency to Euro on both Chrome and Safari browsers and now kindle book prices are all displayed in Euros. How did you change the currency? When you click on the little Union Jack next to the Search box, which currency does it say?

incidentally if you buy items from Amazon itself or dispatched by Amazon there are no customs or VAT related issues - they take care of all that. In theory there shouldn't be any with re-sellers' items either but it can happen.

Are you buying the books directly off your Kindle or off the Amazon website? If it's from Amazon, you should have the option of Eur or GBP. As has been said already, pay in GBP and take the credit card rate over the seller rate.

I use Amazon.com for my Kindle and pay everything in USD.

A tip for new Kindle users, create a list on Amazon of the books that you want to read. Check the prices on them from time to time and see if they have fallen in price. Most of them will fall in price and sometimes you can get them from $1 - $2. I have a long list of books I want and about 60 books on my Kindle, almost all of them bought at really cheap prices.

That's strange. To test this I just changed my currency to Euro on both Chrome and Safari browsers and now kindle book prices are all displayed in Euros. How did you change the currency? When you click on the little Union Jack next to the Search box, which currency does it say?

incidentally if you buy items from Amazon itself or dispatched by Amazon there are no customs or VAT related issues - they take care of all that. In theory there shouldn't be any with re-sellers' items either but it can happen.
OK I see what you mean now but that means I have to log onto Amazon via laptop to buy in Euro...all books on the kindle are displayed in GBP only and only option is buy now - you don't go to checkout etc. Not a huge deal I guess , hadn't planned on bringing laptop with me on holidays and as I learned from above better to take credit card rate than the Amazon rate. Thanks all

Thanks Steven - I tried both Kindle only allows buy in GBP, Amazon website allows euro

Thanks for the tip- I already downloaded 2 books for £1 each - not as avid reader as I used to be so wouldn't have such a list but listen to book reviews etc , hoping upcoming holiday will get me into reading again , concentration was shot during pandemic ...streaming won over books unfortunately

OK I see what you mean now but that means I have to log onto Amazon via laptop to buy in Euro...all books on the kindle are displayed in GBP only and only option is buy now - you don't go to checkout etc. Not a huge deal I guess , hadn't planned on bringing laptop with me on holidays and as I learned from above better to take credit card rate than the Amazon rate. Thanks all
Preload your Kindle with the books you want. Buy 3-4 books before you go. That's the great thing with a Kindle, it doesn't take up loads of space!

Back