New Job offer, stick or twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtotheworld

Hi i am looking for some help and decision on is new job the right decision.
Current job Is a technician working in an American owned multinational manufacturing plant.
I work shift work days and nights. 4 weeks days, 4 weeks nights.
2 days on 2 days off 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off repeat. Same on nights.
Hours 7am to 7pm on days
7pm to 7am in nights.
Work every second wknd as part of working week.
Current pay 46k plus 33% shift circa 61k plus 42 hr week as standard so all in circa 68.5k gross.
Max scale on basic is 49k
Defined benefit pension.
10 yeats service.
Age 38
Single in couple
1 child under 2.
Family health care coverd (worth 2.4k if purchased privately)
House with mortgage of 262k
Value circa 385k
28 years of 30 left.
Rate 2.15% fixed
Partner on maternity leave, works in healthcare 35k salary, will he returning to work with combination of creche and family support.

New jobs service technician going from site to site, monday to Friday 9 to 5.30.
Company van, fuel card phone.
50k base salary with over time available.
Max salary scale 60k
Only me covered on healthcare
Lunch allowance €50 euro per week.
Defind contribution pension.
I'd be taking a 19k gross pay cut but I'd be off shift work which is my long term goal. For better quality of life and family time. No more 12 hr night shifts. Every wkend off unless on call one in every 5 weeks.
Is it worth it. Should I take it

Last edited:
The health care savings may not be that much when BIK is included.

Probable savings on motoring if you don't have to leave company van at office.

Lunch allowance will be tax free.

Your marginal tax rate on the income drop will probably be 52%

The net "loss" might be as low as €6,000 or even less with overtime when other savings are added

I'd try and negotiate an extra €2-€3k. Remember it's a very tight job market.

The move from shift to standard hours is a huge benefit.

If it was me, I'd take it. But I'd push for that extra 2k

The health care savings may not be that much when BIK is included.

Probable savings on motoring if you don't have to leave company van at office.

Lunch allowance will be tax free.

Your marginal tax rate on the income drop will probably be 52%

The net "loss" might be as low as €6,000 or even less with overtime when other savings are added

I'd try and negotiate an extra €2-€3k. Remember it's a very tight job market.

The move from shift to standard hours is a huge benefit.

If it was me, I'd take it. But I'd push for that extra 2k
Thank you so much for yout freeback.
My goal is to get off nights for the benefit of my health and the development and quality of time with my child n partner.
I dont want to be missing the little guys 1st play or 1st hurling or rugby match or music event or whatever he decides to do, i dont want to not be there on the sidelines every second wknd cause of work.
Yes i see what you mean i will get back to them.
They said i can take the van home.. there not going to police the personal use. Do i pay tax on it??
I dont quiet understand the 52% tax rate? If you can help.
I reckon just with the salary alone i be down 600euro per month take home.
Then factor in car n fuel n lunch allowance.
We have 2 cars i would sell mine.
Both are cash owned no loans on em. There worth about 13k for the 2 cars.
Tax on mone is 626 for year.
Current job bonus is 9% almost guaranteed.
New job its circa 2k.

Last edited:
My goal is to get off nights for the benefit of my health and the development and quality of time with my child n partner.

Thinking about it in reverse, if you were in the job you are being offered, would it be worth it to you to take your current job (with the shift work) for the increased pay?

It is better to look and see if you can financially manage on the new salary because for health and quality of life reasons, for the whole family, it goes without saying that the new job would be a lot better. With 2 children under 2 life is going to get a whole lot busier too.

Perhaps a Money Makeover post with possibly a link to this thread might be a good idea. List all your incoming/outgoing and it should give you a clearer vision if the move is financially possible. Include creche fees too. Hope you can afford it because shift work is very hard.

It is better to look and see if you can financially manage on the new salary because for health and quality of life reasons, for the whole family, it goes without saying that the new job would be a lot better. With 2 children under 2 life is going to get a whole lot busier too.

Perhaps a Money Makeover post with possibly a link to this thread might be a good idea. List all your incoming/outgoing and it should give you a clearer vision if the move is financially possible. Include creche fees too. Hope you can afford it because shift work is very hard.
Thanks i will update tomorrow hitting the hay now while baby sleep.

There are many issues raised here, but by far the most important one is that of prolonged 12 hours per day at night duty affecting the OP’s health when the night shifts come. All the rest are tertiary in comparison.

I was in that situation in my first ten years working in Ireland. Most looking in probably never experienced the trials of long term night duty. Health is wealth - suffer the loss in income and change job and fast.

Many years ago I was working shifts and came off shifts for a promotion and a pay cut after losing my shift allowance. Best thing I ever did and would never go back on shifts. It's not worth it from a quality of life perspective

Long-term shift work is considered to be detrimental to health. I would crunch my numbers and adjust my sending as required so I could switch to the day job.

Thanks to all who have supplied optionion and feedback. I will take all this on board.
There is one issue between the choices it is i am currently on a Defined Benefit Pension with 10 years sevice
If i go to new job my DB pension ends and i will be on Defined contribution pension.
I can keep my DB pension in the plan and i get what ever value i have built up on retirement and start the new defined contribution pension with new job.

I work similar 12 hour shifts and am a few years down the road from you. I had hoped to get redundancy which has never happened but just to give my tuppence worth in relation to shift work. I have benefitted from the financial aspect for sure the money is good but there is definitely an opportunity cost imo. You are young enough to expand and develop your career in the alternative position and potentially earn a higher salary. Your current position while financially sound with some added perks may be hard to walk away from but it is an investment in yourself. I found as I got older it became more daunting to radically overhaul and change away from shift. Lastly while shift suits some people and has advantages I have found it only becomes more difficult particularly over 50. This is about more than money.

I work similar 12 hour shifts and am a few years down the road from you. I had hoped to get redundancy which has never happened but just to give my tuppence worth in relation to shift work. I have benefitted from the financial aspect for sure the money is good but there is definitely an opportunity cost imo. You are young enough to expand and develop your career in the alternative position and potentially earn a higher salary. Your current position while financially sound with some added perks may be hard to walk away from but it is an investment in yourself. I found as I got older it became more daunting to radically overhaul and change away from shift. Lastly while shift suits some people and has advantages I have found it only becomes more difficult particularly over 50. This is about more than money.
Thank you thomas.
The time.off is great 2 shifts off and i have week off.
90% sick pay on basic.
12 weeks paternity leave.
Downside night shifts.
I see guys there around 50 and they look 70s
So many have had heart operation and knee operations.

I have worked shift for years. I loved having time off during the week to myself and the extra allowance was helpful. However since having kids and a health scare, I'd jump at a 9-5. You miss so much with the kids - the early morning fun, the craziness at bedtime and excitment of the weekend plans. once that passes you'll never get it back. Its no fun either working shift when your getting older.

I have worked shift for years. I loved having time off during the week to myself and the extra allowance was helpful. However since having kids and a health scare, I'd jump at a 9-5. You miss so much with the kids - the early morning fun, the craziness at bedtime and excitment of the weekend plans. once that passes you'll never get it back. Its no fun either working shift when your getting older.
Niceoneted you echo the very reasons i am thinking in my minds eye. If i could move to a 9 to 5 position in my current company id stay to keep the DB pension.
The new company are really keen on me, offered me the job straight after 1st interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back