"New Dads Bootcamp" for first time day who never changed a nappy, fed a baby etc?

portboy

Anyone know of a 'New Dads BootCamp' type thing in Ireland that I could go to. Wife is pregnant with our first child and I have never changed a nappy, fed a baby etc and figure I'm going to have to know pretty soon. I know they do weekend stuff like this in the States but was wondering if anyone knew of anything like that here ?

Re: New Dads bootcamp

You can go along to the maternity classes. There are a couple in the series that cover that sort of thing (one for dealing with baby & another for the birth thing).

This might also help.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, as you will work it out as you go along. If stuff falls out of the nappy, it's probably on too loosely. If baby is sick when you're winding, you might be a teeny bit too vigorous, or let in too much air while feeding, or not winded properly at the half-way stage or any one of a million things (including not having breasts) that will upset a baby. (Basically, you won't know it all, so your best bet is to make it up as you go along!). Colic is no fun, though. You don't even want to read about it.

PS Best of luck, it's great fun, especially as they get older and start pottering around in the garden with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe ask your local Public Health Nurse and at the hospital or private ante-natal classes that your wife (and hopefully you too) attend.
Ooh, steer clear of any public health nurse that has:
- a bicycle
- a bun
- sturdy sandals
- a booming voice that terrifies babies
(*thinks to self, that should cover them all*).
(Two children, two bad experiences with public nurses).

There is a bootcamp of sorts after baby is born, they teach you and mammy how to feed, change and bathe a baby in the maternity hospital before letting you loose at home.

As yoganmahew says, babies are not made of porcelain, it is not rocket science, and it is incredibly instinctive. Grannies, if available, are the best boot camp going!

I've been reading the two or three pregnancy books that we got when my missus got pregnant - they have sections which deal with the child's first weeks which seem pretty good.

I agree with the point that its not rocket science - there were v.young children at home when I was a teenager, so saw it close up - however the crying and needy baby thing is a bit scary... it runs in both our families.

What really scares me is those 'supernanny' programmes and columns in the newspapers, where these wilful, out-of-control children are shown doing terrible things to their parents and siblings...

Highly recommend 'Babies!' by Dr Christopher Green - SIL gave it to Mr 3Dolls when #1 was on the way. He laughed out loud and read it cover to cover. Very practical and down-to-earth, even if u don't agree 100% with him. He also wrote 'Toddler Taming' and 'Beyond Toddlerdom' and we still dip into them from time to time.

No harm in reading a book but nothing beats hands on experience. Our prenatal classes were all about the birth, nothing about afterwards. But in the hospital the nurses will teach you all you need to know after your baby is born, from changing nappies, to making up bottles or breastfeeding and giving a bath etc. I remember well how terrified I was when handed my first in case I was expected to know what to do! All you need to do is ask for help.

Why not offer to mind a friend/family baby for an hour/day/weekend to get yourself up & running with some real practice? Maybe make sure you have appropriate expert support available to you in case of problems.

Anyone know of a 'New Dads BootCamp' type thing in Ireland that I could go to. Wife is pregnant with our first child and I have never changed a nappy, fed a baby etc and figure I'm going to have to know pretty soon. I know they do weekend stuff like this in the States but was wondering if anyone knew of anything like that here ?

Never heard of it here but not a bad idea. You'll have everyone giving you advice anyway, so there'll be no shortage of advice. The nurses in the hospital will show you the basics. After a little while you'll realise that every baby is different and a lot of what you hear won't apply to your baby. You'll quickly learn your own baby traits and habits. I guess that just nature.

Don't fret too much, you'll be amazed at how crazy you are about the baby and that's what he/she really needs, the nappies etc is very basic it's the fact that it never ends and you'll lack sleep in the begining that makes it hard.

Don't fret too much, you'll be amazed at how crazy you are about the baby and that's what he/she really needs, the nappies etc is very basic it's the fact that it never ends and you'll lack sleep in the begining that makes it hard.
Yeah, if you want to practise before the baby arrives:
- Stay awake all weekend.
- Go to work on Monday and see how much you get done!

- Find a field and dig your fingernails in a cowpat.
- Try getting it out without using your teeth!

- Trace a parabola from the baby changing table to the floor. Now wee on it. At least once your baby will catch you before you have the nappy on and will wee in that spot. You might as well ruin the carpet first. They can wee quite far. Girls can wee further than boys (who tend to wee straight up (i.e. on top of themselves)). Never stand downwind (in the firing line) of a baby while changing it!

It's great fun, so try and treat all the little disasters as such. The baby will pick up how you feel about things so if you stay relaxed and happy, they will tend to.

Yeah, if you want to practise before the baby arrives:
- Stay awake all weekend.
- Go to work on Monday and see how much you get done!...

So true. Lack of sleep is the no1 problem.

Put the new nappy under the old one before you take it off. Babies wait for that window when you're between nappies to go. This way the gap is much shorter. Saved us most of the time.

There are only two things every new dad needs to know.

1. The picture on the nappy goes to the front
2. Stretch the clothes and not the baby

Worked for me...

If I was you Portboy I'd just do everything your wife asks you to do exactly as she asks you to do it in relation to the baby and you won't go wrong.

Yoganamahew - I assume you're referring to the cowpat under the nails? How about a nailbrush? Or wear plastic gloves when changing nappies :D In my opinion changing nappies is a breeze, it's the lack of sleep I hated.

How about a nailbrush? Or wear plastic gloves when changing nappies :D In my opinion changing nappies is a breeze, it's the lack of sleep I hated.
Really? You'd disinfect you nailbrush with milton?

The worst thing about the lack of sleep is that you won't catch up until your children are teenagers and keep on a lie-in at the weekend - and even then, they'll probably keep you awake at night!

Back