New car:must be easy to park,a/c, 2 toddlers and not be a people carrier

Budgie

Looking for a new car for Mrs Budgie.....

Worth noting that Mrs Budgie has no interest in cars and anything with four wheels that is easy to park and has space for two toddlers would suit. Only conditions are : must have a/c and not a people carrier.

We would be selling an 01 Peugeot 206 so something similar (but not a Peugeot due to past troubles) would do.

- Other info

- would spend €20k to €25k on a new car (or one year old)
- probably Japanese but maybe German (not French and Opels need not apply)
- "easy" to drive/park
- Solid enough

Was considering Auris but I see some bad reviews here. Any thoughts (particularly from RS2K - great opinions - keep up the good work!)

Re: New car

VW Polo (new)?

BMW 1 Series (for something a bit special), 2nd hand?

Micra?

Ticks most boxes - v. reliable, v.easy to drive/park, safe & fairly solid
and obviously, Japanese.

Way under budget too - not huge of course but for two toddlers maybe OK? The higher spec versions should have A/C etc...

worth considering - v. easy to sell later on too...

I found this bargain on Carzone a few days ago and is does tick most of the boxes you require as in:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=613147

Japanese made, excellent reliability, high spec.. p/s, air con/climate control, full electrics pack front and rear windows (anti trap windows so kids can get fingers/hands caught in them), elec mirrors, CD player, Alloys, front fog lights, remote central locking, alarm & immobiliser, multiple air bags.
Great family car more than enough space for two baba's and all the luggage that needs to be carted around with them for days away.

Only thing is as an estate (Sportwagon) it won't be as easy to park as a Micra but still for a 04 Mitsubishi Lancer at 8.5k its a bargain.
I have a 05 saloon and its a great car for the money.
As its a private sale if you are interested then please ensure you have all the details checked and make sure you have a competant mechanic to have a good look t it.

Good Luck ;)

1 yr old Focus ticks all your requirements except its not Japanese. However recent Fords are second only to the Japanese for reliability. It will be easy to drive, safe and plenty of space for the kids.

Golf is not a bad choice either, except you pay more and get less than with the Focus - finding one with aircon may be more difficult.

Nissan Quashai is a new one and looks good in the metal, but i believe that there is a waiting list.

Mazda 3 is also worth a look, basically shares many parts with the Focus. there is another thread open on the Mazda3/Auris.

The negative comments on the Auris mainly refer to it being bland to look at and drive. For someone who does not care about cars - this will not matter.

All of the above can be checked at www.honestjohn.co.uk

In that case why not go for something used, with really low mileage and a fsh. I'd even go back a year or 2 further maybe?

Hatchback might suit Mrs. B for parking and shopping.

Audi A3 (Golf in drag), Focus (1.6 Zetec or better), Mazda 3, or even a Corolla hatch (reliable but insipid).

I'd go for the new Corolla saloon...hugely improved from old model. If mileage is high then the 1.4 diesel is a cracker (quicker than the 1.4 petrol). Dad's friend has one and gets 1,000kms from a tank!

Firefly.

I'd go for the new Corolla saloon...hugely improved from old model. If mileage is high then the 1.4 diesel is a cracker (quicker than the 1.4 petrol). Dad's friend has one and gets 1,000kms from a tank!

Firefly.

Ah come on! They are adequate at best.

She wants a car that's easy park so saloons are out most likely. O.P. has already said annual mileage is small so why recommend a diesel?

Driving a Corolla (or most Toyotas bar a few niche models) is like driving a fridge freezer. Cold, boring, & totally uninvolving. The handling is also quite similar ;)

Golf is not a bad choice either, except you pay more and get less than with the Focus - finding one with aircon may be more difficult.

All Golfs (even base models) now come with a/c as standard.

Ah come on! They are adequate at best.

She wants a car that's easy park so saloons are out most likely. O.P. has already said annual mileage is small so why recommend a diesel?

Driving a Corolla (or most Toyotas bar a few niche models) is like driving a fridge freezer. Cold, boring, & totally uninvolving. The handling is also quite similar ;)

The new diesel is a lot better to drive than most small cars. Agree with parking, but surely everyone can learn to park. Diesel with low mileage would surely hold it's value too. Only a 1.4 so same tax/insurance.

Don't drive a Toyota myself btw

Re: New car:must be easy to park, 2 toddlers and not be a people carrier

Think the Focus would be the one to go for as well. Good value, looks, reliability and resale. Should have plenty of space and won't cost too much to service etc. I would go for the 1.6 if the budget allowed. Much better car than any of the others mentioned here except maybe the new Nissan Qashqui (sp?) but I've heard you would have to wait till 2008 to get one of those.

"Cashcow" is an Almera on stilts :D

we have a golf at the moment . had a focus wish I kept it. will get focus next time. have one baby and golf is too small. I miss my focus. Can't wait to change.

I would recommend a new Octavia. They start well under your budget and 23 or 24k would easily sit you in the top spec one which will have dual control climate control. You'll also have a massive boot for carrying around all the stuff that 2 kids entail. There is plenty room in the rear for 2 kids in car seats and they are sturdy and reliable. For the money you'll struggle to find a bigger car with as much equipment.

I have a 99 1.6 one which has never let me down and I've put nearly 100k on it from new.

I would recommend a new Octavia. They start well under your budget and 23 or 24k would easily sit you in the top spec one which will have dual control climate control. You'll also have a massive boot for carrying around all the stuff that 2 kids entail. There is plenty room in the rear for 2 kids in car seats and they are sturdy and reliable. For the money you'll struggle to find a bigger car with as much equipment.

I have a 99 1.6 one which has never let me down and I've put nearly 100k on it from new.

A lot of "people" don't like cars that big, as they are harder to park in tight spaces. Think they are great myself. The boot on a Micra is tiny. Useless for kids. otherwise I'd say any hatchback really. The A Class would be something to consider too. More compact than the usual hatchback (easier to park) but still loads of room. Some of the latest hachbacks have thick pillars and harder to see out of. So a big glass area and corner you can see easily make a bit difference. So have a sit in a few yourself and see what you think. Don't drag her along she'll be bored senseless looking at more than one or two cars.

I bought a bigger saloon for herself and the sprogs, and intended to use our micra myself for commuting. But she prefers the micra for parking, and I've ended up with the saloon!

Actually, A-class would be a good option. You sit a bit higher than normal, making it easy to see round (kids love this too): once you get used to this, it's very hard to go back. Initially my wife was reluctant, but once she tried it found it far better (easier to drive, better view out, less vulnerable feeling) than small hatches.

It's the only small car I've driven that actually feels like a big one: there's tons of space for what is in reality a compact car. We had one for four years and loved it.

At that price range, I think you'd be looking at 2nd hand: I'd get a 5-door updated model (finish that bit better).

Back