New build - ideas for energy efficiency

Mooples

We're planning our new build and I want it to be as energy efficient as we can afford.

I only want to put stuff in that will save us money in a relatively short space of time - ie, I don't want to bother with something that will in reality take about 40 years to recoup the cost of installing.

I feel lucky in that we're working with a blank canvas so the world is our oyster in terms of making the best choices. I'm looking to hear feedback from people on stuff they'd recommend, stuff they wouldn't recommend, stuff they wish they had or hadn't done.

I would also love to hear tips on the best insulation type to get.

At the moment, I'm looking into Geo Thermal heating but have heard mixed reports.

I think we'll get stoves with bank boilers as i've heard great reports.

I'd love an Aga or something similar in our kitchen. We had a range at home growing up and I love them.

We're wondering about rainwater harvesters and if they're worth it or just 'trendy' but not really going to save us anything.

The same with solar panels. I've heard so many bad reports that they really don't work that well at all and cost way more to buy and install than you'd save.

Any info or feedback on all of the above and more on how to make our home as good as we can afford to, and any info on costings, would be hugely appreciated.

I don't ask for much do I?!

Thanks in advance...

The best advice is to insulate to levels your budget will allow and beyond. If you can limit your heat loss to zero, you could heat your house with a candle. You cannot achieve that but you should see my point.

The next most important thing with regard to heating is modulation. This ensures your heating system can react & deliver only what is required of it so makes a very large impact on efficiency. This can achieved by a few methods, either a source or via buffer tanks.

Also carefully work out your budget. The measure you install should & must outlive the payback without major cost input to keep it going. If it does not, then walk away from it.

Finally, you will have to give consideration to Building Regs Part L Compliancy. You will gap have to install a form of renewable energy that satisfies Part L. This can be very difficult to achieve without costing the earth.

Rainwater harvesting would only make sense if you are going to be on public water.

Solar panels are probably the most cost effective way of reaching the requirements of the BRegs - which is why pretty much everyone puts them in.

I would rather recommend you insulate and make your house as airtight as possible concentrating on the elements which will not be possible to improve on at a later stage. e.g. go all in on airtightness and underfloor insulation. Skimp on windows and especially technology.

For your insulation options, consider using a 300mm insulated raft foundation.
Consider what type of construction you want to use:
timber frame, sips, ICF, 200mm cavity, external insulation - or something more exotic. Do you want thermal mass or quick response time?
There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

You should probably get someone on board who comes from a construction background and is good with BER to help you make your decisions.

we put a 15kw windhager fully automated boiler in our self build and find it excellent for water and heating - cost of 4 ton pellets €1000 every 18/20 mths.
we also put in inches of insulation so our house is warm, didn't put the heating on till late oct!!

We're planning our new build and I want it to be as energy efficient as we can afford.

I only want to put stuff in that will save us money in a relatively short space of time - ie, I don't want to bother with something that will in reality take about 40 years to recoup the cost of installing.

I feel lucky in that we're working with a blank canvas so the world is our oyster in terms of making the best choices. I'm looking to hear feedback from people on stuff they'd recommend, stuff they wouldn't recommend, stuff they wish they had or hadn't done.

I would also love to hear tips on the best insulation type to get.

At the moment, I'm looking into Geo Thermal heating but have heard mixed reports.

I think we'll get stoves with bank boilers as i've heard great reports.

I'd love an Aga or something similar in our kitchen. We had a range at home growing up and I love them.

We're wondering about rainwater harvesters and if they're worth it or just 'trendy' but not really going to save us anything.

The same with solar panels. I've heard so many bad reports that they really don't work that well at all and cost way more to buy and install than you'd save.

Any info or feedback on all of the above and more on how to make our home as good as we can afford to, and any info on costings, would be hugely appreciated.

I don't ask for much do I?!

Thanks in advance...
stop thinking bling bling and start thinking heat retention!
have you looked at the requirements of the passive house standard? this is still the bench mark of good energy efficiency in building fabric in Ireland/ EU

Thanks everyone for all the replies - given me lots of food for thought and good starting points for doing my research.

I definitely want to have the best insulation that I can possibly afford. It's the number one priority of the entire house.

Everything after that is a bonus.

Meeting our potential architect in less than a week - very excited!

Thanks again for the tips

Back